Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5300 Array Extend Limit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stuart Smith_1
Occasional Advisor

5300 Array Extend Limit

I have recently upgraded 7x36.4Gb Disks with 7x72.8Gb (Raid 5+1 with On-Line Spare) and have been only able to extend the logical drive by 60Gb using a 5300 Array Controller in a ProLiant ML370 G2.
When I went to extend the Logical Drive, it showed only a maximum size of appox 260Gb, this has left nearly 180Gb of free space on the array.
We have re SmartStarted the server to 6.40 and upgraded the Firmware of controller to 3.54 and are still unable to extend the logical drive further.
Does anyone know whether this is a limitation on this array controller, or are we simply just missing something.
We have successfully done this before using a 6400 controller, so it could be the physical memory on the card, as the 5300 has 50Mb of cache memory and the 6400 has 200Mb memory.
6 REPLIES
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5300 Array Extend Limit

Hi Stuart. Big pieces are left out of the puzzle. need to know what OS you are using and sp level. Also, not sure what " RAID 5+1" with one hot spare is. also, you need to be at 7.40B with PSPs and not 6.40. although it is better than 5.5. did you run the 7.40B firmware cd or just update the 5300 FW via the downloadable exe file? What kind of server is it in?

now exactly how did you go about upgrading these drives? swap them out one by one?
I assume since there are 7 drives you are using one half of an external enclosure? what houses the drives that you are trying to upgrade? Are they U320 drives or U3?

Actually why donâ t you just post an ADU report from the sick array? That will tell me what I need to know about the drives.

Thanks!
--Andy
Stuart Smith_1
Occasional Advisor

Andy,

Thanks for the fast response, I have run an ADU Report on the server and attached to this thread. The server in question is a ProLiant ML370 G2 running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4.

Cheers,

Stuart
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Have you tried a newer version of the ACU?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stuart Smith_1
Occasional Advisor

Steven,

I will be updating SmartStart on the Server tonight to version 7.40. So I will post the results tomorrow.

Cheers,

Stuart
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Stuart- you need a few things first and may in fact fix your issue along the way by default.

This is the Zipped version of the 7.40B Firmware maintenance CD. you'll need to run this to be current. I can tell by your ADu re[port you are years behind.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24048.html

this link is for the current 7.40B PSPs. your ADU is at 1.90. current version is 7.40.7.0 about 4 years behind.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23318.html

you can thank us with points :)

--Andy
Stuart Smith_1
Occasional Advisor

Andy,

Top Man!! - I installed SmartStart 7.40 last night and could then expand the logical drive to all available space. Even though we did not need to upgrade the firmware, we will be doing this as a matter of course. Thanks again for your help.

Stuart