Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

585's Memory Config

HachPee
Occasional Visitor

585's Memory Config

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade a bunch of 585s from 4GB to 24GB for Exchange 2007.

I need to determine the best memory config in terms of speed,size and slots.

Any idea where I can determine what is the best config, I've hear that once you have 17 DIMMS your memory slkows to 50%, I hope there's a HP pdf showing possible configs?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 585's Memory Config

The server supports upto 64 GB of memory. However, memory support in the operating system also has to be taken into consideration.

There is an HP document showing the different possible memory configurations. It is not a PDF but, you can have a look at it here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00330470&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

The DL585 has AMD CPUs, for each CPU, there's a board with the CPU socket and 4 or 8 DIMMs.
Each CPU has a direct link to the DIMMs on it's board, the DIMMs cannot be used if there's no CPU installed.
The recomendation is always to distribute the DIMMs among all boards, the same number of DIMMs on each board.

This is from DL585 manual:

â ¢ Two DIMMs must be installed on the processor memory board in slot 2.
â ¢ All DIMMs on a processor memory board must have the same part number.
NOTE: Processor memory boards in slots 1, 3, and 4 can be installed without memory.
However, this configuration might not result in optimal performance. Certain application programs run more efficiently if the DIMMs are balanced across all processor memory boards.

â ¢ DIMMs must be installed on a processor memory board in pairs and in bank order.
â ¢ DIMMs must populate three or fewer banks on a memory board with PC2700 DIMMs to maintain a memory clock speed of 333 MHz.
NOTE: If all four banks (eight DIMM slots) are populated with PC2700 DIMMs, the maximum
memory clock speed will be 266 MHz.
NOTE: PC3200 DIMMs are only supported by processor memory boards with four DIMM
slots.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have a look at the attached document which shows the memory configuration guidelines for the DL585 G1 and DL585 G2 servers.

I hope this helps.

Brian