ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752671 Members
5818 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 64-bit VMs in ESX 3.5U2 on ML370 G4?

SOLVED
Go to solution
nptech_1

64-bit VMs in ESX 3.5U2 on ML370 G4?

I have installed ESX 3.5 Update 2 (3.5.0, 110268) on an ML370 G4 (part 311138-001) with the latest ROM (07/19/2007, Family 386P50, Type 03).

When I try to create a 64-bit Windows Server 2003 R2 VM I get an error that says:

"Attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode..."

Are the Xeon 3.4 CPUs in this system not 64-bit compatible?

Are there any special settings required to run 64-bit VMs on this server with ESX?
11 REPLIES 11
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

you can use this utility:

Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

since your running ESX you will need the linux based

VMware-guest64check-6.0.0-45731

"In Linux, from a command line or in a terminal window, enter
VMware-guest64check-
(where is the build number).
A message is displayed, telling you whether your CPU is a supported processor for 64-bit
guests."

try and let us know
bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
nptech_1

Karlo:

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, the tool suggested did not work. I did, however, find another tool at:

http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html

The VMware "CPUID" tool provides a bootable ISO image that will do CPU compatibility checks for 64-bit guests, etc.

I ran the tool and discovered this particular server does not appear supported for 64-bit VM guests (see attached test output).

If anyone else is aware of a tweak or BIOS setting to enable 64-bit guests for this server, please let me know.

Thanks for your quick reply, Karlo!
Trikkitt77

I've just had the exact same problem, but managed to fix it....

Within the BIOS you need to go in to Advanced > Processor Options, and enable the Intel Virtualization support and hardware DEP.

Once these are enabled you need to reinstall ESX. I tried just enabling these options, but I still couldn't install Ubuntu 64Bit, it kept saying x86-64 not supported, only found i686 support. I then did a complete reinstall of ESX and it installed first try. It would appear the ESX picks the kernel based on if these options are enabled or not at the point of installation.

This has the steps you need to complete in the middle of it (its for HyperV but the same seems to apply to ESX).

http://blogs.ezos.com/blog/lle/BlogAttach/4AA1-7906ENW.pdf

Hope that gets you working!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes Trikkitt77 is right

but I would say that the utility run would say disabled instead of not supported...

also adding I got 2 Ml370 g4 3.4 GHZ - one 1MB and the other 2 MB

and none of them VT can be enabled.

bye
nptech_1

Karlo:

My server has 2x 3.4 Xeon with 1MB. I have checked the BIOS settings and there is no option for VT enable, only "No Execute Memory Protection" (DEP).

Are you saying that it is not possible to run 64-bit guests with this server? Or will enabling DEP and reinstalling ESX make this possible?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

no I meant there is no option to enable that

they are not capable.
Trikkitt77

The error messages I received stated that the 64bit OS was not supported, I would guess because the hypervisor could only generate a 32bit virtual computer as the Intel Virtualization Technology had not been enabled.

If your sever does not have this option then it is either because that generation of CPU does not support it or HP have not developed the BIOS to support it. Either way if you cannot enable Intel VT, based on my experience, you will be unable to have 64bit guests.
nptech_1

Karlo and Trikkit77: thanks for the clarification. I now understand that unless HP develops a VT 'aware' BIOS for this server then the 64-bit harware hardware will only present a 32-bit computer to ESX and thus I will not be able to run 64-bit guests.

Now I only hope someone at HP will see this and (if possible) develop a new BIOS that will allow me to squeeze a little bit more life out of these solid servers. :-)

Thanks for your timely and helpful responses!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

See http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=883341,33908,862919,859148&familyID=5&culture=en-US

Of the 3.4GHz processors Intel has manufactured, only the 7150M and X5272 models have Intel VT, and both of those are dual core. Your processor is identifying itself without those numbers, and also is single core, so it most likely is one of the two on the right.

Sorry, a new BIOS wouldn't affect your ability here, as the processor itself doesn't support it.