1753968 Members
7777 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 6400 controller - Logical drive size limit

ThomasN
Occasional Advisor

6400 controller - Logical drive size limit

Does the 6400 array controller support logical drive larger than 2 TB? Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Unfortunally, no.
SA6400 support up to 32 logical drives and up to 2 TB per Logical Drive
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

ThomasN
Occasional Advisor

Do you know which controller can support a logical driver over 3 TB? Thanks.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Currently HP did not support >2TB LUNs.
You can merge this LUNs at OS level.
ThomasN
Occasional Advisor

I'm running Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition with SP1. Currently I have 2 LUNs, 2 TB and 1 TB. If I was to merge them at the OS level, I would need to convert them to GPT format, correct? Thanks.
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

until you get into 64-bit, 2TB is a MS Windows limit. If i'm not mistaken, W2k364 has an 8TB limit. Put it in any format you want. W2K3 STD wont see anything above 2TB.

--Andy
JethroB

Hello,

Windows 2003 Sp1 supports larger drives then 2 TB when using GPT disc's.
You should be able to create a larger logical drive when you change the block size.
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Per HP's own site it sounds like it is possible to support a 4TB drive with a 2 channel controller and 8TB drive with 4 channel controller, unfortunately I can't find the "how" anywhere. Can someone provide a definitive answer on this?

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarray6400/questionsanswers.html

Q1.
What is the maximum RAID volume that can be configured with the Smart Array 6400 Controller?
A1.
The Smart Array 6400 controller has been enhanced to provide support of up to 2 TB RAID volumes under some operating systems including Windows 2000. It is possible to configure a 2-channel controller with a maximum of twenty-eight 146 GB hard disk drives for a total of 4TB of storage.
├В 
Q2.
What is the primary problem solved by Recovery ROM?
A2.
The Smart Array 6400 controller has been enhanced to provide support of up to 2 TB RAID volumes under some operating systems including Windows 2000. It is possible to configure a 2-channel controller with a maximum of 28 hard disk drives for a total of 4TB of storage (28├Г 146 GB) and a 4-channel controller with a maximum of 56 hard disk drives for a total of 8TB of storage (28├Г 146 GB).