1752576 Members
4877 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 6400R power supply indicator

Dominic Uliano

6400R power supply indicator

Guys,
I just got a 6400r off of ebay and when I went to boot it up but it wont start. The power LED shows amber and the Fan light does not light. The interlock light is showing green. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any help.
10 REPLIES 10
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Are the covers on the machine? There are interlock switches underneath them, check if they work fine.

Leon
Dominic Uliano

Thanks Leon, If that was the case, wouldn't the Interlock LED show as Amber?

Regards,
Dominic
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

There aren't interlocks for the cover on the 6400.

Do you get any fan spin when you hit the power button?

The power light is amber when powered off on these - it does suggest that you are getting power though.

What happens when you push the button - anything?

Dominic Uliano

Hi Dave,
I do not get any fan spin (either plugged in or switch on). In fact when I open it up, none of the fans are spinning nor are their lights on. When I plug it in the power light (picture of a light bulb) goes amber. When I turn the switch on the top lights on the power supplies (2 per power supply on front) go out. According to the maintence guide -- this indicates a "fault". I don't exactly know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Dominic
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

Interesting...

I guess I would try to reseat everything - procs, memory - memory must be install in banks of four, remove any extra PCI cards, reseat the standard peripheral board.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Check the Processor power modules! If more then one processors in the system. Remove all but one.

Good luck

Leon
Dominic Uliano

Hi Dave and Leon, I tried what each of you suggested but no luck. Thanks again.

I really think I have more of a power supply problem. The both are indicating a fault when I try to switch the power on. None of fans will work either.

Regards,
Dominic
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

If you don't have redundant fans in the PL6400R and at least one fan is broken, the system refuses to power on. I guess you're quite limited in testing this, unless you can find another fan (or maby more).
I saw in this forum other peers that bought stuff from eBay but actually bought a cat in the bag.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Dominic Uliano

Hi Gert,
Excellent information. So just for clarification... if one fan does not work then the system wont power on? I have essentially 6 fans in this system. one external, one inside of each power supply, 2 for the PCI/hot plug area and 1 for the cpu's. I will try to find a way to test for this -- thanks again

Regards,
Dominic