yes, i see an unexpected shutdown error every time
jay mack
Occasional Advisor

Re: 6400R spuriously reboots

i applied sp4 on 11/18/2003 with hotfixes on 5/29, 8/25, 8/28, and 12/9
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Based on the survey file, the Proliant ASR-2 hardware feature has been disabled (but this may have been a long time ago).

1) Did you disable ASR from the Compaq SCU or the Windows 2000 ASR? Need to also disable the W2000 ASR if it has not already been done, for how-to see this doc:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=tis11003

Note: This is for Netservers but the W2K info is the same.

2) Also see that memory was upgraded, when was this done?

3) Any common or repeating errors written to the W2K application log before a reboot occurs?
jay mack
Occasional Advisor

i disabled the asr both in windows and the system setup about 3 weeks ago, it has definately rebooted since then with no additional info. i swapped out the whole memory board with another 6400 at around the same time as an initial step as memory is a likely culprit. i do not see any errors in the event log leading up to the reboots.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Good troubleshooting, I was going to suggest memory as the mostly likely hardware-related problem. But I still think it is software.

1. Enable W2K performance monitoring to log CPU and other resource usage. This will allow you to view what processes were (hopefully?) spiking at the time of the reboot.

2. Any 2000 services you can set for manual at this point, and stop? General suggestions would be any backup software, virus checking, remote software, and HP/Compaq management sw.

3. Any unscheduled reboots before Spk4 was applied in November?

4. If possible run server in Safe Mode - does it reboot in Safe mode?

5. Is this server on a UPS? If so, any UPS software installed? For testing I would take it off UPS and stop/remove any related SW.