1752808 Members
5923 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

6400R spuriously reboots

jay mack
Occasional Advisor

6400R spuriously reboots

i have a 6400r that reboots itself about 4 times a day, at no specific interval. there are no errors in the event or the integrated management logs. i have installed the latest agents and drivers, it already had the latest bios. i have run the diagnonstics with no errors, i have swapped out the memory board with another servers that is known to be good, all to no avail.i also disabled the asr feature and the reboot on overheat setting in the diagnostics. i am running out of ideas and any suggestions would be welcome. the server is running win2k, it has the latest service pack as well.
14 REPLIES 14
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: 6400R spuriously reboots

1. When was the last time the server was working ok?

2. What ASR did you actually disable? Does this include the Automatic Server Restart in Windows 2000 itself?

3. Windows 2000 Server with Spk4?

4. If you boot from any bootable diskette or CD (remove the disk), and then leave the server for a day, does it reboot itself? This will help isolate if this is a software or hardware issue.
kamal_9
Super Advisor

hi
You can try what harris told .first isolate is it a hardware or software problem
jay mack
Occasional Advisor

it is running sp4, it has been doing this for a couple of months and i have taken various steps to try and resolve. i have attached the survey.txt file. i will try to boot to cd and see how that works, thanks.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jay,
Please bring your server to the minimum configuration and then see if it still behaves the same way. It could be one of the XEONs overheating. Also make sure that the system bios is uptodate.

Regards,
Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

I once had problems with another server that rebooted with no specified periocity. IF i stipped it down to minimal hardware and let noone work on it, it stayed online for days.

However, if i put load on it, it reboots right on the spot.

the problem? there was a blown capacitor near the processor. That was it.
jay mack
Occasional Advisor

i let the server sit over the weekend booted to a cd and it did not reboot. this possibly could point to a software issue but it also could point to an issue where the hardware is under load as well couldn't it?
Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

sure, i guess it the hardware load on the thing.

once i installed a simple Win2k and let it run for 2 weeks... didn't reboot. although there was noone connected to the server.

when i put load on the server, it rebooted.

did you find any blown capacitors near the processor board?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Jay, it MIGHT be hardware but at this point it is doubtful. Need to troubleshoot software!

Do you at least see an "unexpected shutdown" logged to the 2000 system log when it reboots?

Any chance of determining exactly when this started? When did you update to Spk4? What SW installs or updates have been done in the past 2-3 months?
jay mack
Occasional Advisor

i actually had the whole motherboard replaced, aren't the capacitors on the motherboard?