1752671 Members
5479 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 6400R

Gary_165

6400R

I have dual PIII 550 XEON processors 1 GB RAM. SQL server 7 and NT4. The database is only 400mb although there are some complex queries. The performance of this server is so poor I have had to temporarily swap it out with our development server (ML330 PIII 1.13 processor 768 mb RAM). Performance monitor for the 6400r does not show anything to suggest that the hardware cannot cope. However I new server shows that the processor cannot cope (CPU constantly over 80% Proc Q Length well over 2) yet it performs better than the 6400. Can anyone advise as to what the problem may be? ROMPAQ up to date.
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Where as performace is concerened. It is recomended to do the following
1) Check for latest BIOS (Update it)
2) PSP for Proliant Server.
3) Check for the ACU for the Read Write Setting for array.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

Could you be more specific than overall poor performance of the server? Which subsystem are we referring to here?

I have experienced similar issues and majority related to device drivers issues. I read that you have updated all the ROMPAQs.If you are referring to NICs issue, could you try checking the speed/duplex settings on the NIC and at the switch port?If you suspect memory bottlenecks or other hardware component, run the server diagnostis utility and generate a report.

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Gary_165

Thanks (both) for the quick response. I have downloaded the latest PSP (i thought I had latest drivers but it is showing I do not!) and will test. BIOS is up to date. Our suspicion is the processors, although perf mon does not show this. It is the fact that the ML330 has less memory, only IDE disk but processor speed is greater that makes us believe it is the processor. Also set up a machine with the same processor speed (550) but not XEON and this produced the same performance. The performance issue is the application taking a long time to process parts of the application and in some parts timing out - all when accessing the database.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well to me it sounds as if the process is simply processor intensive. No ROMPAQ, drives BIOS Updates (as the suggestion) is going to effect the processor usage. We had a client that had a similar situation. A SQL application. Once a month they did some report. Took a great deal of CPU and time to create. He upgraded to 4-700 XEONs. The system crashed halfway into his report. Strange enough he went back to his 1 400 and got the report finish. He now uses 4 - 400's and gets acceptable results.
So it is hard to say what will help you. Even faster CPU, more CPU's. I would look to SQL for the recommendation.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Gary_165

Hi

I downloaded the latest PSP and applied it to the server. When tetsing there appeared to ba a slight improvement in performance. However, there are 2 SQL queries we can run which highlight the issue. Query 1 will run in 12 secs on the ML330 where as the 18 secs on the 6400. Query 2 will run in 1 sec on the ML330 and 8 secs on the 6400. Performance monitor does not show that the CPU usage as being particular excessive when running either query on the 6400 (ie 30% during query). Also single user connected to 6400 - multiple users on the ML330