1745912 Members
4294 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

6402 controller not visible

Steve Cain_2
Occasional Contributor

6402 controller not visible

We have a ProLiant ML370 running NT4 Server with a 5300 array controller connected to one logical drive internally and a second logical drive externally (4300 storage system tower with 14 hard drives). We added a 6402 controller that is connected to an external Modular Smart Array 30 with 14 hard drives. On bootup both controllers show up but once logged into NT4 if we run the ACU it only sees the 5300 controller. We are running the latest version of the ACU and the Smart Array 5x and 6x controller driver for NT4. I rebooted using the Smart Start 6.40 CD that was provided with the 6402 controller and ran ACU from there and it saw both controllers. It allowed me to create a logical drive and save the settings. Rebooted into NT4 and ran ACU and still couldn't see the 6402 controller, but Disk Administrator sees the unformatted logical drive and allowed me to format it. I ran SCSI Adapters under Control Panel and it shows two Smart Array 5x controllers, one with two logical drives connected to it and the second with one logical drive connected to it. Why doesn't the Smart Array 6402 show up properly under SCSI Adapters or the ACU from within NT4 but when run from the Smart Start CD it does?
2 REPLIES 2
john_347
Regular Advisor

Re: 6402 controller not visible

Hi Steve,

I was under the impression that the 6402 array controllers were for G3 and above servers with PCI-X bus. Have you loaded the NT4 Driver that came with the controller ??

Heres the matrix for hardware support

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/compatability-matrix.pdf

Hope it helps

john
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: 6402 controller not visible

I have heard that also. I read that at LSI Logic about the new controllers. PCI 2.2 and PCI X requirement
Hot Swap Hard Drives