cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6500 Quad Xeon 550 won't power on

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

6500 Quad Xeon 550 won't power on

I have a 6500 that has developed a serious problem. The LCD on the front looks normal but when I push the on/off switch nothing happens. Both hot swap power supplies have two green lights on each and the AUX 5V LED is on but not the 12V or 5V next to it. I've reseated the power supplies, blown out any dust, reseated all RAM chips, CPUs, VRMs and expansion boards but am left with a dead machine. I also tried clearing the configuration, still no joy.
Suggestions?
8 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: 6500 Quad Xeon 550 won't power on

Hi John,

I assume the interlock leds are not giving you a clue as to the problem?

Please see attached PL6500 Troubleshooting Guide. Follow the flowchart and hopefully you will find the problem.

I hope this helps.

Brian
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Interlock lights are off. I completely disassembled the machine, blew out any dust with compressed air, reassembled verifying all cables were connected / seated correctly. LCD on front lights up but still nothing when on/off switch toggled. Thinking the switch itself might be the problem I ordered one from the HP Parts store yesterday. The order said 3 to 4 day lead time. I was surprised when it arrived here this morning 16 hours after I ordered it. Unfortunately the new switch did not resolve the problem. I still have a dead 6500. The AUX 5V light comes on when I connect power cords to the dual hot swap power supplies but the other 5V and 12V LEDs do not light up.
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

I went back through the support document Brian had sent me, went through the problem diagnosis flow chart verifying cables again. Nothing was loose. Since there are two identical 12V cables coming from the hot swap power supply interface board I swapped them hoping I'd get power to the 5V and 12V LEDs but still nothing. No bent pins, nothing appears to have burn marks, no smells, NOTHING. I don't know if replacing the fan controller board (where the 5V, 12V and 5V Aux leds are mounted) would be a next step.
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor

I've seen similar behaviour with faulty VRMs. Can you strip the machine down to a single CPU or try swapping a VRM from another machine?
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

I tried removing all but 1 CPU / VRM but I don't have "blanks" to install and end up with an interlock error. I've tried swapping positions of CPUs/VRMs and that did not help.
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Since this is an older machine I'm not sure if the HP Parts store has blanks for the CPUs/VRMs to strip the machine down to a single CPU. Does anyone know the part numbers for the CPU and VRM blanks that I could order those to give this a try?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

The CPU Terminator spare part for Xeon models is 329271-001
http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=329271-001

Fan Controller Board (if required) is 328838-001
http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=328838-001

I assume you have already tried flicking switch 6 on the peripheral board to reset the CMOS.

Additional Proliant 6500 documentation is available here.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254864

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

John,

I meant to add that you only need a CPU terminator card in place where a CPU has been removed. The VRM isn't required so the VRM slot can remain empty.

Brian