1752736 Members
5576 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

7.30 Firmware Maintenance CD generates seg fault

Chris Hatch
Occasional Contributor

7.30 Firmware Maintenance CD generates seg fault

I am attempting to update the firmware on Smart Array controllers in ProLiant ML370G2 server. I downloaded the 7.30 firmware maintenance CD iso image. The CD runs fine in a ML350 G2 running Windows 2000, it has failed to run on any of the ML370 G2 servers I have tried. Soon after Loading Drivers is displayed there is an error displayed on screen, "/ram/dev/load: line5: 204 Segmentation fault" it gets hard to read because of wrapping but it appears that the text that follows is insmod aic7xxx> /dev/null2"

System is running NetWare 6.5 sp 3, cd is being loaded from cold power up. Any ideas?

-Chris.
3 REPLIES 3
Sean Marshall_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: 7.30 Firmware Maintenance CD generates seg fault

Check to ensure the memory is seated correctly - also make sure it is HP memory. If it is all HP try to reduce the memory to the minimum config and swap the memory around. I suspect that the Seg is caused by either faulty ram or unseated ram

Chris Hatch
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.
This on a box with Kingston RAM + HP/Compaq ram. I have actually tried this now on 5 different ML 370 G2 boxes. I have tried taking out non compaq RAM without any change. These were all originally setup with SmartStart CD. I can run Smart Start 6.40 but not 7.0 and not 7.20 or 7.30. I have unseated and re-seated the ram without any change. All of these have RemoteInsight Boards. I have also tried removing the RemoteInsightBoards, (Lights Out EditionII) without any change.)
James Ayvaz
Advisor

Try this and see if it works.

At the "Loading ProLiant Maintenance CD 7.40.. Please Wait ..." prompt, quickly type

"sos acpi=off"

before the '.'s start.