ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752815 Members
6228 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 72.8GB SCSI LED's

Alan K Chan

72.8GB SCSI LED's

The LED's on the drive trays for the hot-swap hard drives won't light. Is there a software switch to turn them on to show HD activity? They flash when you run the utility to identify each HD. I'm running DL380 G3 servers.
11 REPLIES 11
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

no software switch
if firmware UP to date for SA Controller and HDD and same HDD light normally in other bay, you verified cables and still problem exist - replace SCSI backplane, unless it not critical to have LED
Alan K Chan

Yeah, the firmware is up to date. None of the bays light up. They are all up off. What the manual says that if the lights are all off, I don't have an array configured but I've been running a RAID 5 array with a hot spare for over a year now. Even if the hot spare LED's don't light, the ones on the bays that are part of the active RAID 5 array should light, no? There is no problem with the SCSI RAID 5 array. It has been serving gigs of data for the last year.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hello Alan.

I've seen this before, the light that you see in the front panel travels across a thin plastic stick, this stick maybe broken.

If not broken, then the backplane may be defective and LEDs not working, if the server is under warranty, call HP support and they'll probably send you a new backplane by the next bussines day.

Regards.
Alan K Chan

None of the sticks are broken.

I thought it was gonna' be something simple but I guess I'll have to call HP to get the "expert" answer.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One more thing to confirm.

Let say we have raid 1 or 5 on the server and and we remove one hdd from server. On SCSCI Backpane can you see any leds.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Alan K Chan

This is a production server so I'm not about to force it onto an automatic RAID rebuild. I'd rather let it run without the LED's in the front of the HDD cahes.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Run ACU from Windows, select youre array, all drive belonging to the selected array must start blinking green... if not there's something wrong with the SCSI backplane LEDs or firmware.

Update to latest firmware if not already done..
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

This is Problem with the SCSI Backpane of the Server. Log a call take down time. check if problem is there then. Get it replaced.

Prashant s.
Nothing is impossible
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan,

I think what Prashant was trying to say is that the DL380 G3 can suffer from missing or damaged LED's on the backplane. These send the light up the fibre optic pipes to the front of the drives. If however using ACU or ADU puts all the lights on when selecting the controller then you obviously don't have an LED issue. I have seen your problem on DL380G3 and G4's where the embedded Smart Array 5i+ or 6i (G3 and G4) are at fault. It isn't cured by firmware but seems to be a signalling issue with the controllers. You may therefore require the system board to be replaced if you only use the embedded controller. It's easier if you have a seperate PCI based Smart Array controller for the drives as you can simply replace it.

Regards,

Brian