1753894 Members
7821 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

7B Blue screen

W Fooshee
Advisor

7B Blue screen

Proliant ML350 G6, B410i Array controller with SAS disks in a RAID 5 array, Windows Server 2003 R2. Server has been running for several months, users could not access it this morning. Power cycled, it reboots itself almost immediately once the Windows splash screen is presented. Set it to "disable automatic restart" and I see a Blue Screen with a 7B, which usually means inaccessible boot device, although that phrase is not on the blue screen. The timing is the same as I've seen when the controller driver fails to load or is the incorrect driver: splash screen, blue screen.

I would like to reinstall the array driver onto the server, but I'm not sure I can do that without actually reinstalling the whole Windows system. I don't want to have to build from scratch.

Secondly, even though Smartstart diags passed (I tested fans, drives, and memory, 10 passes) I get some strange behavior with the fans and status lights sometimes on power-up. During POST, the fans will go full, and the status LEDs on the face start flickering. None are steady, and the power flickers through green and amber, Power Cap flickers and blinks, the health flickers through green, amber, and red, both NIX LEDs flicker and the UID LED flickers. None are steadily illuminated, and it clears up to normal lights (green power, health and NIC, all others off) as the fans slow down. Only happens during POST, and not every time. Once POST is complete the LEDs seem to settle down and have a normal appearance. That makes me wonder about a hardware issue, but the diags seem OK.

(Insert old joke about Diags being nothing but a way to point the finger elsewhere.) :)
3 REPLIES 3
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro
W Fooshee
Advisor

Re: 7B Blue screen

Back in business!!

I have a utility CD (Ultimate Boot CD) that I use for a testing lot of these kinds of non-booting systems. Boots from the CD, gives access to the hard disk. Doesn't work with newer servers, though, as it's XP-based, and there's no XP driver for the P410 controller.

In another search, found that a blade workstation (xw460c) uses a similar G6 driver, and sure enough, that driver gave my boot CD access to the filesystem.

Once in, I opened the registry and confirmed the location where hpcisss2.sys is expected, and it's missing. Simply copied it back into place (the correct W2K3 version) and the system boots OK.

Problem was completely missing driver HPCISSS2.sys.

As to what happened to the file, that's a separate issue, unexplainable at this time.
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: 7B Blue screen