1753877 Members
7594 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

9.1 swap to 18.2 gig in a 3 disk raid array

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

9.1 swap to 18.2 gig in a 3 disk raid array

I would like to replace the (3) 9.1 gig drives I have in an array with 18.2's.
Thought I read somewhere that youI could replace them one at a time, allowing them to rebuild, when the entire array was upgraded, you would then have full use of the extra space. Could it be this easy?

Thanks

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: 9.1 swap to 18.2 gig in a 3 disk raid array

Yes it is this easy.
What kind of an Smart Array controller are you using?
Is your curtrent raid set Raid 5?
You will need to shut down the server and replace one drive and hen on boot it will rebuild. Do this for all. After it has been rebuilt you will need to run the Array Configuration utility. From here you can either add to an existing array or create a new logical drive. Please answer the questions above before proceeding. I can call you if you have any concerns.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The More Information button from the Array Configuration Utility says:
Bus Interface 32-Bit PCI
Slot number Embedded
Hardware Revision = A
Firmware Revision = 1.42

Yes, the Raid level is 5.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

OK, it's the "Integrated Smart Array" + am about to upgrade its firmware to 1.46
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the information. You will have no problems doing what you ask.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Dave Connelly_1

I have a similar situation and I'd like to confirm that this procedure would work for me, and my hardware.

I have a NetServer LC2000r, Dual P3-1GHz (P2479A) with a Symbios Logic 896, 22910 PCI SCSI Adapter. I currently have six 9.1GB Hot-Swap drives (P1168A) configured in a RAID-5 array (using Windows 2000 Disk Management software). I would like to replace all six drives with 18.2GB Hot-Swap drives (P1166A).

Can I simply replace each drive one at a time, allowing each to rebuild?

What issues or potential problems might I expect to encounter?

If possible a detailed procedure would be nice if it entails more than that already discussed in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dave
Dave Connelly_1

Just to further detail my situation...my goal is to expand the capacity of the Raid set. The set is currently 98% full, and I anticipate I have a very small window in which to address this situation.

If it is possible to simply swap out each drive one at a time, allowing them to rebuild, what if anything would I need to do to realize the additional capacity for the Raid set?

Thanks again,
Dave