108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A USB2 PCI card for ML310...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Bender
Advisor

A USB2 PCI card for ML310...

Howdy, y'all; we're thinking about using an ML310 as a Web-enabled database server. Performance is adequate, but I'm concerned about backups. The 2 USB ports on the mobo are USB1.1 (I think), and I'd like to add a PCI USB adapter, but the mobo is equipped with 64-bit PCI slots that run @ 3.3V.

I can't find a 64-bit PCI USB adapter. What else would work so that backups to a USB-attached disk would be adequately fast?

TIA,

APJ
San Jose, CA.
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: A USB2 PCI card for ML310...

A 32-bit PCI bus should not be a bottleneck for the USB adapter, unless you're driving several high-speed USB2 devices simultaneously or have another high-bandwidth device on the same PCI bus. You can install a 32-bit PCI card to 64-bit bus, if the card can use 3.3V voltage.

The maximum theoretical data rate of USB 2 devices is 480 Mbps (million _bits_ per second), or about 60 million bytes per second.

The capacity of a 32-bit PCI bus is theoretically 1.064 Gbps or about 133 million bytes per second, and normally can perform at about 110 MB/s in practice.

If the external USB2-connected disk is fast enough, the most likely bottleneck is the USB bus itself.

When USB 2 originally appeared, it was compared with Firewire... and although Firewire is nominally slower than High-Speed USB 2, Firewire actually performed better than USB 2 in applications requiring sustained high throughput.

This problem may have been remedied since then, but I'd still recommend Firewire over USB if you need performance.

MK
MK
Andy Bender
Advisor

Thanks for your note, Matti. With a little research, I found a USB2 adapter for universal (5.0 and 3.3V) 32-bit PCI that I installed in the 64-bit socket. Works perfectly and made it easy to install a new higher-capacity disk using Windows 2003 SBS ASR after backup to a USB2 removable disk.

I appreciate your assistance.

APJ
San Jose, CA.
Mark Showacre
Occasional Visitor

Andy,

I'd like to do a usb2 backup also, ran into same problem finding a USB2 controller, What was the controller model you found.

Thanks,
Mark