1752812 Members
6004 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A disk read error occurred ?

Jiang Zhu_1

A disk read error occurred ?

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I can create the logical drive. All set to RAID 0. I can initiate all the drives. I can even boot with Win2003 server disk, then select the logical drive to install the system. After copying the files, the system is rebooted normally. Then, disk read error! Any config I miss to do? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Jiang Zhu_1

Sorry to mention, it is PL1600R 6/400. With 6 physical hard drives, 36G/36G/36G/36G/9G/9G.
Jiang Zhu_1

Help! Help!
Sothearith Chanty_1
Occasional Advisor

Do you got any SmartArray Controller? if so your process above is using hp SmartStart CD or Windows 2003 CD?
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Jiang,

If you are using RAID0, then you have no redundancy.

You could well just have a failed drive.

First, I suggest using a better RAID format. Then try an install, and have a look at what the array tells you.

The RAID manager may even have logs relating to disk issues.
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Make sure the firmware & drivers are all at the latest versions. I once had a very similar error installing Win2k Server on an HP NetServer LH3. We resolved the error by updating the following:

system BIOS
NetRAID firmware
hard drive firmware
back plane firmware

We did all the updates at once, so I am not sure exactly which update fixed it. But, I suspect the extremely out of date RAID firmware & BIOS were the culprits. I think it might be a mismatch between new drivers & old firmware that causes this issue.

Microsoft even put out a technet article on the LH3 problem (unfortunately, this KB article was published after I first encountered the problem):

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216645

I hope this helps,

Alicia
Jiang Zhu_1

I only make one physical drive(36G) online, and make two logical drives, the first one is less then 8G. In doing so, I can install the system sucessfully. The system is Win2k3 Server Enterprise. When I made the first drive larger than 8G, disk read error occured! I am wondering why the system can not read larger than 8G? And by the way, the second logical drive is not recognized by the 2k3 server.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

You've been asked a question, and had a few suggestions made.

Did you try them?

Are you still using RAID0?

Have you got the latest firmwares installed?