1753928 Members
8894 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

A few problems about HDD controllers

HalcyonOSCS
Advisor

A few problems about HDD controllers

I am currently running Windows Server 2012 R2 on an ML350p Gen8 and I want the OS can directly control the HDDs so they can spin-down and can monitor thier performance.
The current config is listed below:
Controller: P420i without cache RAID mode
Array 1: Seagate 500GB, RAID 0
Array 2: Seagate 2TB, RAID 0
(Yes, I gave each physical disk a logical array)
Now I got two extra disks, one 600GB 15K.7 and one 2TB desktop.
I want them to be displayed each as a separated drive in Windows.
I purchased a LSI 9211-8i card and updated P20 controller BIOS and IT mode firmware using my desktop PC.
The card was successfully discovered during my PC POST and was successfully flashed. Then I removed it fROM my PC and installed it on ML350p Gen8, slot 2@processor 1.
I disabled P420I in RBSU and disabled PCI express 3.0 support for slot 2 (9211-8i is a PCIe 2.0 device).
The POST discovered the HBA but a red screen showed up with NMI, log shows uncorrectable PCI express failure 0x00004000.
I removed my HDDs and 9211-8i and converted my P420i to HBA mode using instructions found here: https://hardforum.com/threads/hp-dl380p-gen8-p420i-controller-hbamode.1852528/
After that I powered off the server, installed the HDDs I just removed and booted the server.
POST showed P420i hardware RAID mode disabled, but the server cannot boot into Windows (the server keeps trying network boot).
Here are the problems:
1. Is my 9211-8i malfunctioning or is my server having problems? Or I should have some configuration adjustment before installation?
2. Have anyone successfully booted using P420i's HBA mode? I think it is possible that a drive previously configured as a single drive RAID 0 array cannot be boot directly as a physical drive without RAID configurations.
Thanks in advance.