8831 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ASR Detected by System ROM

Aidan Keane
Occasional Contributor

ASR Detected by System ROM

Hi All.
Getting frustrated with this issue. Proliant 3000, 2 pIII 600's 768mb ram, Wink2 sp3 exchange 2000 sp3. Our e-mail server has begun rebooting itself sporadically with no clue as to why in the last 4 days. Nothing was changed or modified. We have the mamagement agents upto 6.0. The event log just lists Event ID 6008, the previous shutdown at (time) on (date) was unexpected. Nothing to go on here. The server reboots at all random times, not during backup jobs or anything. We are running Arcserve Brightstor 9.0 on it, but the ASR's are happening at varying times day or nite. No system process's are running so there is nothing going on at the same time. where can I get more help on this as it is an e-mail server and it has me at my wits end! Please contact me personally if you need more info on this issue and I will post all fixes etc on this website for others. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: ASR Detected by System ROM

Hello Aidan,
To correct the problem, upgrade the Compaq Advanced Systems Management Controller Driver for Microsoft Windows 2000 to version 5.21.2195.0 (or later), which is available as Component Pack CP001377. Version 5.21.2195.0 of the driver is also on Compaq Support Paq (CSP) version 5.14A for Windows 2000, which is available on the Compaq SmartStart for Servers Release 5.30.

Note: CSP version 5.14 (or its individual components) can also be downloaded from the following location:

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1121.html
Regards,
Aidan Keane
Occasional Contributor

I applied the fix you mentioned and it still locks up constantly. Please help... it's now locking up several times a day.

Thank You.
jeff daugherty

Did you ever find a fix to this I am expereiencing the exact same issue and Im worse off becasue I am in the US and my Servers are in the UK If anyone can shed any light on this issue please respond
Anton Heyns

Hi

I am having the same problem with this. Am running a ML 530 with the HP 6.3 Smartstart and agents installation. Never had this problem before ?. Running on W2K Server SP3 and SQL SP3a. Can not find anything that relates to this excpet in the W2K system event viewer it does say "unexpected system sutdown". I have unloaded the HP management software and will see what happens. Did you ever resolve this ?. My contact e-mail is anton_heyns@yahoo.co.uk.

Many thanks
Anton
Again
Michael Ramsden
Occasional Advisor

You can look in the Integrated Management Log under Recovery on the control panel. It will give you some clue about why ASR is rebooting your server. It isn't for no reason. Something (possibly a hardware error) is causing the server to fail. The HP bios is intercepting that error before Windows even knows about it, thus the lack of any details in the Windows log. Good luck. You can also turn off the ASR if you really want to see the error on the screen, although, then you must manually restart the server.
Tim_159

We are experiencing similar ASRs on a few of our 140 ProLiant ML350 G1 servers. The Integrated Message Log tells us "Temp sensor overheat at 0 degrees" has been dedected and the server shuts down. We have been replacing the motherboard and the backplane to the array cage (under warranty), but this does not solve the problem every time. We are running SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 on these servers. We have found that these particular servers temperature threshhold is 81-82 degrees.
jeff daugherty

The Real FIX TO THE ISSUE

DISABLE HYPERTHREADING IN THE BIOS

INTEL HAS POSTED ISSUES WITH
ALL VERISONS OF WINDOWS 2000
AND HYPERTHREADING 2K ITSELF
CANT DIFFERENTIATE A LOGICAL PROCESSOR
TO A PHYSICAL PROCESSOR

ONCE YOU DO THIS YOUR ISSUES SHOULD VANISH
I TRIED TO NOTIFY HP SUPPORT ABOUT IT BUT THAT DONT WANT TO ADMIT THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE THIS SETTING ENABLED BY DEFAULT FOR WINDOWS 2K

WHEN I HAD A COMPAQ SUPPORT TECH ON SITE HERE IN THE UK FROM THE LYNX CORPORATION I TOLD HIM PLEASE DISABLE HYPERTHREADING AND HE IMMEDIATELY RESPONDED OHH YOUR RUNNNING 2K ARENT YOU.
Artist Covington

All,

I'm getting the same messages and symptoms and I'm running NT4.0 with SP6a. It's started rebooting intermittently within the last 2 weeks. Any ideas?
PEEBLES

Hi,

We run a Proliant ML530 G2, W2K all SP installed, 2x512Mb Ram, ...
we have had just the same issue, called HP/Compaq support for more information, said that RAM might cause the problem. We've changed both 512 Mb but problem not solved, server keeps shutting with apparently no reason resultng in a blue screen...

We've now installed the new HP Insight Management... Don't know if the problem occurs because of the COmpaq or on Windows, but it's odd, we heve 3 other servers; IBM + 2 Compaq and nothing's hagging there, so...
(To HP: has it really to do with w2k, because I see in this forum that same problem occurs on NT 4.0, poor explanation?)

Somebody from HP said that a solution could be de-activate the ASR (bios), but we use the ASR because it allows us to restart the server without intervention but this major bug forces us to have a 24/7 person on site, what's the REAL solution?

Till now, only way to fix it: unplug manually and wait a couple of minutes, reboot several times till it's ok... not cool.

Does anyone has a clue?

Thanks

Marcos PEEBLES
IT Director
Arobaz
412c Ch de Waterloo
1050 Brussels
Belgium