ASR Detected by System ROM

POST Error: A Critical Error
occurred prior to this power-up
4 REPLIES
fegume
Occasional Contributor

Re: ASR Detected by System ROM

Hi,
I call phone HP for this message and said me that don´t worry no is important.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

I'm sure if you would search this forum that you will find several entries on this subject.

When you get this message it means that the server has experienced a hang condition for about 10 minutes after which the build in hardware feature (ASR) performs a hard reset of the CPU and causes the system to reboot to get out of this situation to avoid someone needs to reset the system manually (on iste or remote via management port iLO).

The reason for the 'hang' issue can be software or hardware, this is where you need to start researching if their are any log files at the OS level and also at the hardware level that give a you a hint and also see if the issue comes back on a regular interval i.e.

It is not a event that you can just ignore if your server or the data is importent to you....

HTH

Kris
bennun
Occasional Contributor

We've begun to experience a few ASR's with the latest version of Trend NeatSuite. It turns out the firewall is causing DL380's and ML370's to ASR. Still trying to research the issue. Very strange.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

If you are able to isolate the hang/ASR issue to a S/W issue then their is always the possibility to disable ASR and let the server hang until you are able to get access to the console or to the iLO and crash the server manually via a special key sequence such that it generates a memory dump. This memory dump can then be analysed to find the root cause.

The reason to disable ASR is to allow you to make the dump manually before the 10 minutes are over, if ASR is enabled, after 10 minutes the server will reset automatically.

This requires you to have the right level of support contract with your support provider for reading/analysing crash dumps of course.

Kris