cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASR during backups

Mike Gallo_1
Occasional Visitor

ASR during backups

Hello, I have 2 DL 580 G2 servers running Windows 2000 SP3 that experience unexpected ASRs. I have not been able to identify any reason for them, in the integrated log viewer I only get â ASR Detected by System ROMâ . It seems that this only happens during a backup and I have 3 other identical servers that donâ t experience this problem at all. We use an EMC EDM backup solution with the EDM agent installed on the servers. I tried diagnostics on the server and they donâ t show any hardware problems. Has anyone seen this problem? Also, if the ASR was heat related that would be in the integrated log viewer correct? Thanks for any help with
3 REPLIES
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: ASR during backups

Would expect to see some message or error in the HP log if there was a hardware problem.

1. What if any errors are logged to the Windows 2000 system event log?

2. Can you run a short back and be ok?

3. May need to use the Microsoft 2000 performance monitors and see if you are running out of any resource.

Also as a general recommendation check free disk space (especially on the C: drive and the drive with the pagefile - usually the same drive partition.

Before making ANY changes in Windows create a current ERD (Emergency Repair Disk).
Mike Gallo_1
Occasional Visitor

Part of the problem is that there is nothing in the event logs at all about the problem. This problem is very inconsistent it only happens every week or two with no rhyme or reason to the timing other than it is always during a backup. It could be an incremental backup or a full backup it doesnâ t matter. Both disks have plenty of space but I am wondering if this could be disk related since backups are disk intensi
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Work with the 2000 Performance monitor and enable logging of key components. When the next ASR happens, you can review the log to determine what was running at what % at the time of the ASR.