1748250 Members
3291 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ATI Rage IIc configuration problem

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

ATI Rage IIc configuration problem

I've installed Windows NT4 Server (w/SP4) on an ML350. I downloaded the ATI Rage IIc video driver from the Compaq website and after installing it, the Display Properties dialog is messed up. When I go to change the resolution, the numbers that appear under the slider are either incredibly large or single-digit (as opposed to the standard 800 X 600, 1024 X 768 etc.). I've tried both drivers available on the Compaq site as well as the driver from ATI, they all display the similar problem. Does anyone know a remedy?

Thanks,
Jerry Woods
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you have PCAnywhere installed, remove it. Then install the ATI drivers and configure them. Then reinstall PCAnywhere.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We performed the same exact procedure. (Installed NT 4.0 SP4 using the SmartStart CD and then installing the ATI Rage IIC driver from Compaq) We did not install anything prior to installing the ATI drivers from the compaq site. We still received the same exact problem.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Louis
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ron From Compaq:

I've seen a lot of questions regarding video problems, blue-screen-of-death etc in reference to pcAnywhere. Do you have any recommended installation guidelines or suggestions for installing or upgrading pcAnywhere on a Compaq server to AVOID any of these problems?

Symantec has nothing for recommendations let alone an admission that there is a problem - and I'm a bit nervous about loading 9.2 of pcAnywhere on our 60 production Compaq servers only to have them all fail on me.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Todd///
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also have problems with the AT driver. I uninstalled PcAnywhere 9.2 as suggested but that did not help.

I have down load separate AT display driver from CPQ support site and installed it as instructed. But now when I try to change from 16 color GA to something else - testing goes just fine but when I apply changes I get message that says rebut and when I do that I'm back in where I started (16 color GA).

Very strange!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We have the same problem under Windows2000! We installed the new and old ATI-driver from Compaq. If i change de display settings, the system crashed. And if I remove the driver and restart the system, I alwaya have 640X480 resolution.
Compaq told us to re-setup the server. How funny.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

First off - it's NOT really a problem with pcAnywhere itself... Not truely. Remember that such software MUST bind itself to the video drivers if it's going to relay the screen to another system. It only makes sense that you can't have the software installed first and then install the drivers... Some drivers can handle that but the ATI drivers currently can not.

As long as you load pcAnywhere AFTER the drivers - it works great.

Now - if you have tried repeatedly to install/remove/reinstall drivers and pcAnywhere - I have no idea what's going to happen. There's always a chance that the registry will corrupted somewhere along the way by an incomplete install or error or... In such cases, reinstalling the OS may be the ONLY solution.