1745925 Members
4163 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Aborted startup sequence / Video Display Driver

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Aborted startup sequence / Video Display Driver

About 3 out of 4 times that I restart my refurbished 3000R the video display goes black during the bootup process and computer appears to abort startup sequence (based on lack of harddrive activity). Sequence is as follows:
1) Turn Power On
2) View COMPAQ Proliant splash screen
3) View DOS-like screen showing hardware configuration (memory, processors, etc)
4) View Windows DOS-like screen showing black-and white progress bar at bottom
5) View Windows 2000 Splash screen with progress bar
6) Black screen (and the display monitor indicates no signal from computer and the harddrive activity stops)

As I said about 3 out of 4 times I go through this sequence the screen will go black instead of going to the Windows2000 screen and logon dialog box. When the startup sequence finishes properly there don't appear to be any problems and the machine will work fine for weeks at a time. Then when I go to reboot the machine (usually after loading software) it is the same process.

Any suggestions??
9 REPLIES 9
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Do you have pcAnywhere installed, and is it version 9.0 or earlier? If so, you need to update it to 9.2.1 (update from 9.0+ up to 9.2.1 available from Symmantec's website as a free download).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Good suggestion - also make sure the most recent support paq's for win2k are installed from www.compaq.com/support/files/server - also check system rom date for a possible update. If the issue re-occurs, email support@compaq.com with the info.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I don't have pcAnywhere installed so the first comment didn't apply (but thanks for the suggestion). I will try the latter approach and respond back. Many thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have the same problem with my proliant 3000 Dual PIII600 running Windows2000. Only difference is that I was only able to boot it up once after the first time that happen. I have not able to boot it up since then. I am upgrading the bios right now and reinstalling 2000.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I updated the bios to 11/8/2000. Still having the same problem. Please help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

ericshen, your issue might be solved by running Compaq's SmartStart disk (or maybe Insight Manager). Anyway, when I first installed the OS on my servers I had the same symptoms you described but was told by a friend that you must first run through the Compaq provided tools that guide you through the initial installation (only takes about 5 minutes if I remember correctly). This worked for me on both of my 3000s. just a thought.

Lance
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Scratch that last comment. After reading your note again I realize that the OS was working properly for you at one time. The problem I originally had was that the OS never installed correctly. Sorry about that.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Has anyone resolved this problem? We have this on 75% of our 3000's our 5500's.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi, Everyone
I was able to resolve my server startup problem by downloading win2000 video driver from compaq.
Good luck y'all
Eric