Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About DL385 G7 smart array P410i

machiAWS
Occasional Contributor

About DL385 G7 smart array P410i

Hi,

I am preparing the order DL385 G7. Some question about smart array P410i would ask.

1) If I using 16 disks. Is it possible to assign it into 2 slot (cage)?

2) Is it free to assign array between two slot? Example, assign Array A including Disk 1 is slot 1&2 and Disk 3&4 in slot 2?

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

Re: About DL385 G7 smart array P410i

In order to use the second drive cage, you will need to add either a second SAS controller, or use the SAS Expander card.

To span a single array across the two drive cages, you will need to use the SAS Expander card:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13232_div/13232_div.html

With the SAS Expander card, you would cable from the Smart Array P410i to the SAS Expander card, and then from the Expander card to the drive cages. Then you could have an array that included drives in both cages.

The SAS Expander card requires you to have at least a 256MB cache module attached to the P410 controller.

machiAWS
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Daniel!!

One thing I still confuse that after I install new SAS Expander card. Is it those harddisk (Suppose full 16 disks installed) are assigned to same slot? (my target is assign 16 disks into the same array)

That is because I still could not fully understand how can assign array by using two group disks in different slot?

Thx

After installing the expander you will see the whole 16 disks as if they where in the same cage. Actually both cages are connected to the sas expander and the P410 is connected to the expander (and not to the cages).
There is a note in the quickspec saying that you do not need to buy any cable to connect the expander card to the p410. I am not so sure (had some trouble with a customer) So I would recommend you to purchase the cable mini sas to mini sas ref 496012-B21. This is very cheap and will avoid you any inconvenience