ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753394 Members
7153 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: About the DL145 G2 BIOS Upgrade fail...

SOLVED
Go to solution
sonicwu
Occasional Contributor

About the DL145 G2 BIOS Upgrade fail...

There's a suck with the work I upgrade DL145 G2's system BIOS!Power out of service!!!
After that,the server power on well,but no screen show,black just!The fan is work,Keyboard is inactive...
I have no idea for that,and the server no FDD port on board,USB FDD is well to recovery BIOS?
Any body could tell me how to fix it?
8 REPLIES 8
juan quesada
Respected Contributor
Solution

wow man.... big troubles....you have a very old machine, newer machines have a back up BIOS and its very easy to recover from that but your situation....
but no worries, i know the old procedure but is very annoying.

ProLiant Systems, System ROMpaq Disaster Recovery Procedure

*Obtain the latest ROMPaq version for the target server. (go to HP.com under support and drivers and locate the latest rompaq.
*Create the ROMPaq diskette that will be used to restore the serverâ s system ROM (run the executable from the above step and follow the wizard)
note: if the ROMPaq ROM restoration procedure was interrupted, the initial ROMPaq attempt may have affected the contents of the ROMPaq diskette, create the ROMPaq again if this happens
*Power down the server
*CRITICAL, this is ESPECIFIC for your server and you will not find documentation about this nowhere***set switches 1,2,3 and 4 on the system maintenance switch block to the ON position. Setting these switches to the ON position enables Disaster Recovery Mode (this switch is next to the CMOS battery)
*Insert the ROMPaq diskette into the diskette drive.
*Power up the target server. note: the keyboard, mouse, and monitor will all be inactive.
*When the server has powered up, the server will make two long beeps to indicate that it is in Disaster Recovery Mode.
*the server will read the ROMPaq diskette for the latest ROM image and will proceed to flash the system ROM on the target server. Flashing the System ROM should take a few minutes to complete.
*Listen for a sequence of ascending (increasing) tone beeps after flashing is complete.A quick series of beeps indicates successful completion of the system ROM recovery process.note: The diskette drive may appear to still be in use, but the procedure is complete after listening the ascending beeps.
*restart the server and cross your fingers.......
note: if the above do not work, minimize the server Hardware and try again....a faulty component may prevent a proper ROMPaq recovery.

I hope i will get a 10 for this...took me a while to find this info...
jajajaja, just kidding..what im gonna do with the points...but please, let me know if you can recover your system, that will be a nice to know!!

sonicwu
Occasional Contributor

Hello juan quesadaï¼

Thanks with ur support!
I'm try to fix the DL145 G2 now,the Switch I find it ,and power on well,it's could be read USB FDD,...
When boot on,just one short beep...
and the USB FDD start to read files,about 1 min,the USB FDD stop read,and there's no beeps or other actions!...
Maybe I have to wait for 1 hour and power down to check?
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Hi,

If you're having trouble with floppies there's a utility (CD image) called the flashcd.

You can get it down from
http://www.bootdisk.com/mexico/flashcd.zip

Instructions are on
http://www.bootdisk.com/flash.htm

Regards,
Shiraj.
sonicwu
Occasional Contributor

I'm try to do something!...
the SW2 DIP 1,2,3,4...and olny 1 or 2 or 1+2...etc to ON!The server when power on,no two long beeps!...and on beep just!...
And the ROMPaq disk is well,read when power on,about 1 min then stop!...nothing else after!
Now...I don't know really,how could I do...
Shiraj Fernando
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Check the HP ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD User Guide at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00679482/c00679482.pdf

You may find the ROMPaq recovery section useful.

Regards,
Shiraj.
sonicwu
Occasional Contributor

Hello guys~
I'm trying this days...still not good!
The SW2 on board is switch to ON,and power on the DL145G2.
First,you could got on beep,then about 1min,there's one long beep and two short beeps,I mean this is good news to recovery BIOS...(I plug USB FDD on system before power on,and don't inside the ROMPaq disk)
When I got first "one beep and two long beeps",I inside the ROMPaq disk,and wait,about 1 to 2 cycle of beeps(one long two short)...USB FDD start to read ROMPaq,...again,about 1 min,the action stop,and the beeps stop...DL145G2 now in recovery process?I don't know,
then,30 mins later,there's nothing heppen...
Maybe the board is fail?...It's not good!
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

can you try with a floppy drive, i know it works fine with it
sonicwu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks with your point!
But it's not available with FDD.
There's no FDD port on the DL145G2 motherboard!...so I try to use USB FDD connect.