1751858 Members
5994 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Absolute nightmare of a DL380 G7

Martijn Goudkamp
Occasional Advisor

Well well well, a HP technician just popped out of nowhere and left me a new 1GB BBWC module. Since the ESX server is live, I can now replace it myself whenever I feel fit. Let's see if this will solve the problems.

Note: last lockup was in the evening of November 5th; almost a week of having a stable server.

I remembered that I took pictures of the monitor when the server locked-up last time; I'll attach the ESX messages here.
Simon.H
Advisor

Well, the server that has been crashing 4 or 5 times a day for the last few days has now been stable for 24 hours since I removed the FBWC, so its looking more and more as if that is the problem.
I'm going to compare it with the FBWC in one of the other DL380 G7's I have that doesn't have the problem, to see if it looks any different...

Marco Bagnoli

I'm about to get 12 G7 ...,
should i cancel the delivery ??

Really hope HO does fix it,
thanks everybody
ciao
Martijn Goudkamp
Occasional Advisor

Ciao Marco; non ├Г┬и a me ti sconsigliare un server HP; purtroppo questo modello in questo configurazione ha un sacco di problemi. Magari con un config diverse sei forse pi├Г┬╣ fortunato.

---

Had another crash today: ESX 4.1 was running smoothly and then a nice SCSI error halted the server. See attached screenshot. Still got to replace the cache module.
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Likewise, had an unresponsive system most likely with BSOD and 0xF4.

Took 4 reboots before the P410i managed to boot one of the arrays. Calling HP now to get a replacement P410i.
Greg Rice

Our whole shop is HP so it's hard to say we will never be going to them again. But, I've been building hp servers for 10 years (compaq for 2 of those :-)) and I just got 2 dl380 g7's in and never had so much issue. BSOD's everywhere. I also just got some BL460 g7's in. 2 for a SQL cluster and 6 to add to an ESX/VM farm. More than half had issues. Not impressed with the G7's HP. And calling support...I've never had such issues. If I tell you I can't get an OS on the hardware, and I've reseated everything, tried new iso's, tried new hd's...don't tell me to build on 1 CPU. That won't do anything but waste my time. Just admit the g7's are POS's.
give 'em all typewriters
Martijn Goudkamp
Occasional Advisor

Replaced the 1GB flash today with HP's module they gave me last week. Let's see how long it stays alive this time.

For reference: the only difference between the old module is a little label with this version number: V. C05 (the old one has V. C03).
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

HP's Level 2 Support has asked me to install the latest SP (did it ~6 weeks ago) and to rearrage the RAM modules.

I'll be beyond startled if rearranging the RAM modules makes any difference to the storage controller...
Simon.H
Advisor

Well, my crashing server has been absolutely fine for the last week with the FBWC removed. Today I reinstalled the cache, and within four hours it had crashed twice.
I've now raised a case with HP to get the FBWC replaced.
щймцШО
Occasional Contributor

To Martijn Goudkamp

I THINK IT'S A FALUT MOTHERBOARD.i've experienced the same problem,after chaning a board,it's solved.and i think the automatic reboot or shutdown is caused by the ASR,i recommend you disable the ASR in the BIOS.
HP's dl380 g6 has this kind of problem with vmware ESX server.