4742 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Acceptable CPU and System Temperature - Proliant ML350 G4

Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Acceptable CPU and System Temperature - Proliant ML350 G4

Hi,

I've seen a few threads related to system and CPU temperature issues but none appear to actually state what are acceptable ranges for both CPU and System temperature levels. I am currently monitoring a Proliant ML350 G4 server that has on several occassions reached the CPU temperature threshold of 80 degrees C. under normal conditions, the CPU seems to hover between 61 and 64 degrees C. Can anyone tell me if this range is acceptable or point me to some documents that might have this info? I've already downloaded and looked through pretty much all the documentation found on the HP website for this server. I realise also that the CPU temp is dependant on how hard the processor (3.2GHz) is beeing pushed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sergio
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Acceptable CPU and System Temperature - Proliant ML350 G4

The Insight agents report the threshold for each of the sensors under the Environment link in the Recovery category. It is set for each server design.
Mike Strako
Trusted Contributor

50├В┬░ to 95├В┬░ F (10├В┬░ to 35├В┬░ C) is the operating range for most servers, if your processors are running hot or in threshold warning temps, I would get some electrical non-conductive, thermal conductive compound and regrease the CPU to the he
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Please note that 'operating temperature range' refers to the ambient air temperature as measured at the intake (front of the server). The temperature sensors inside do not reflect ambient air temperature but rather the thermal energy at its proximity to the heat source.
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Thanks for all your replies. I guess what I was after was cofnirmation that the managment agents have the appropriate thresholds set for the server that they monitor.

I'm still a little concerned that there have been situations where the server has been placed under extreme loads (application issues causing excessive CPU cycles) and that the threshold has actually been passed but I suspect it also has much to do with the location where the server has been placed which isn't really ideal.

Thanks again.
Sergio