New Discussion

Re: Access command line from HP Service Pack for ProLiant

SOLVED
Go to solution
ErikD
Occasional Advisor

Access command line from HP Service Pack for ProLiant

Hi,

I booted the server (DL380 G7) using the ISO of HP Service Pack for ProLiant (2012.10).

There is a firmware upgrade I need to apply manually that is not detected by the HP Smart Update Manager.

How do I access the command line once booted into the SPP?

13 REPLIES 13
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What kind of firmware is it?

btw, version 2013,02 is out:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=spp_2013.02.0

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ErikD
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I found how you do it :)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=3743227&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c01765977

Basicly you press Ctrl+Alt+d+b+x to access the command line after booting the server using PSP.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

From SPP 2012.08 release notes:

Offline Maintenance CD ROM Flash Component for Linux - Modular Smart Array 60
Version: 2.28

CAUTION: If the currently installed MSA60 firmware is less than 1.50 then you cannot update the MSA70
with this firmware.  You must first obtain new MSA60 I/O module(s) (IOM) to complete this update. If the
currently installed MSA60 firmware is less than 2.00, then you must perform this update with only  one
IOM inserted at a time.

IMPORTANT: After the completion message is displayed, one must power cycle each MSA60 enclosure to
complete the update process.

-----

So I assume you just need to boot/start HPSUM and run the update, no CLI interaction needed.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ErikD
Occasional Advisor

For some reason the firmware is not applied when booting SPP -> HPSUM.

You manually need to enter CLI and apply the hotfix.

Not sure why, but that is what I had to do atleast.

apb
Advisor

I'm trying to do the exact same thing.  What is the command line you ended up using?

Per 2.28 instructions I put the .scexe into hp\swpackages on a bootable USB drive and finally found it in:

/mnt/boot/hp/swpackages

I am currently at 1.50 with a revision C backplane so I should be good to go for updating. However, I get "no devices updated" when I run:

./CP013530.scexe

Running with -help gives some options.  The one I think may have something to do with it is -t, SCSCI device tag of device (e.g. MSA60).  However, I have no idea what my MSA60 would be called?

DL380 G5 with a P800 hooked up to a MSA60 with a single 500 GB SATA drive, no warnings on the controller in ACU and ORCA.  Array is fine.  I'm wanting to update the MSA60 before I deploy 12 x 3 TB SAS drives in there so the 500 GB one is just to get ACU and the controller to stop whining about "no drives found" and whatnot.

I feel like I'm missing something simple but I have no idea what it is.  Are you supposed to run hpsum from the CLI with an option to install this package specifically?

apb
Advisor

I found the problem to be twofold.  First, I made the mistake of using the latest SPP,  2013.02.0(B).  I added a Firmware Update DVD 10.0 from 2012 and it had the CP013530.scexe already.  Getting to the command prompt it worked as expected, -q giving info on the fan revisions and backplane and all that jazz.  Running it initiated an upgrade attempt.  Copying that version to the 2013 SPP gave the same non-result I had before.

Even though I'm at firmware 1.50 and the backplanes are listed at 1.72, apparently I looked at the wrong thing for "Rev C".  Looking at the proper backplanes, though, it says revision 0B.  Maybe that's 08?  Dang hard to tell on that font.  Either way, it looks like I've got to track down replacement backplanes as even the firmware update said, "hardware update required".

gulier8268812
Occasional Advisor

I having problems running this update as well on an MSA 60 with 1TB SAS drives.  I can get into the CLI and run patch but it simply says :

"HP Enclosure ROM 2.28 Flash

No devices updated."

I am currently on 2.18.  I have tested via P422 and P822 SAS controller on three different servers with the same results.

This is direct attached storage to a Windows server.

Could it be an incompatibility with the SAS controllers I am using?  The array works fine on the server in all respects.  I just can't update the firmware in offline mode.  I tried putting on the older version of HP-SUM but I still get "No Devices updated".

Regards

gulier8268812
Occasional Advisor

On older version of HP Sum it shows that it attempts to be looking at onboard P400 controller only.  Could it perhaps not be able to see the array attached to the new SAS card?