Re: Access through ILO port

SOLVED
Go to solution
viking_2
Occasional Advisor

Access through ILO port

Hi,
I have the follwoing setup.
One blade encloser and 5 BL20P Blade servers. Each of them are connected to a different VLAN through 2 cisco 4507 switch (redundant).I have connected 2 NIC from each server to the 2 core switches using a temaed network.
I have connected the enclosure ILO port to the same VLA as the management server(RDP). both are in vlan X. I have also configured a DHCP server in the same RDP server.

Server 1 Teamed network IP: X.X.7.5
NIC1 and NIC3 enabled.
NIC2 and NIC 4 Disabled.
ILO port conencted to x.x.6.0 network/VLAN.
RDP Server IP: X.X.6.5

How can I get access to the blade servers thorugh ILO?
Is this a correct scenario?
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

can you see all ILO IP from DHCP
example: x.x.6.1 ... x.x.6.5 ? for all 5 servers ?

DHCP and RDP installed at same server ?
Can you ping one of x.x.6.x from RDP server ?

DHCP enabled form ILO ? It's new Install ?

Can you get from front port and look over rack view if all 5 servers get IP from DHCP ?

Tom Ridges
Advisor

Assuming you have System Management Homepage installed on the blade, open this as it should contain a link to ILO.

As the previous post asks, is there a DHCP facilities in the mgn VLAN, I would assume so for RDP, but please confirm. By default ILO uses DHCP for addressing.

It may be worth running an IP scanner (angry ip) in the mgn vlan to identify the ILO IPs (assuming they have one)
viking_2
Occasional Advisor

-------
can you see all ILO IP from DHCP example: x.x.6.1 ... x.x.6.5 ? for all 5 servers ?

Viking: No I am not able to see any single IP from the DHCP server.
-------
DHCP and RDP installed at same server ?
Can you ping one of x.x.6.x from RDP server ?

Viking: Yes both are installed in the same server. I am able to ping all the servers from this RDP.For some reasons my RDP server is also not funtional.But I thought ILO works independent of RDP.
-------
DHCP enabled form ILO ? It's new Install ?

Viking: How can I enable DHCP from ILO.
Each of the blade servers are having 4 NIC ports. 2 are teamed and connected to the live netowrk with respective VLAN IPs. Other two are disabled with no network cables.
The ILO port of the enclosure is connected to one port which is assigned in VLAN 6, same as the DHCP and RDP server.

-------
Can you get from front port and look over rack view if all 5 servers get IP from DHCP ?

Viking: How can I do this?
-------
Assuming you have System Management Homepage installed on the blade, open this as it should contain a link to ILO.

Viking: I do have system management homepage installed but I donot see any link to the ILO.
-------
As the previous post asks, is there a DHCP facilities in the mgn VLAN, I would assume so for RDP, but please confirm. By default ILO uses DHCP for addressing.

Viking: Yes, I have put a DHCP server in the same management VLAN.But there is not address leased shown in the DHCP MMC
-------
It may be worth running an IP scanner (angry ip) in the mgn vlan to identify the ILO IPs (assuming they have one)

VIking: I have done this. But since no IP address have been leased by the DHCP Server, the IP tracer/ Scanner not able to find any IPs.
-------

I have attached the system management homepage.I donot see any link to the ILO
Ozan GUNAYDIN
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I have an infrastructure like yours. RDP and DHCP are installed on the same server. The setup you explained is a correct scenario.

Default iLO IP configuration is set to DHCP. You have to assign an address pool for the blades on the dhcp server. And when you boot up a blade it must take an Ip address from the dhcp server.

If they didnt take the ip addresses and you can not see the address leases on the dhcp server, you can restart the blade servers. After reboot if they still dont take the ip addresses there must be a network problem or ilo ip configuration error.

Make sure that your iLO port VLan is same as the DHCP server.

You can check the iLo configuration from the console connection. You must have blade console cable which is shipped with blades.
You can connect that console cable to the port on front panel of the blade (near power button). You have to connect the far end of the cable(ethernet) to a laptop and open a web browser, type 192.168.1.1. That will open ilo of the server you connect the cable.

The administrator password to login is on the left plane of the server. After login you can check ip configuration and set to dchp.

But if you will use only 5 blades I recommend you to use static addressing. You can set static IP addresses to each blade from the network configuration in iLo interface.

IF you can not reach iLo by console cable, you can connect a monitor and keyboard to the console cable and open console of the server on that monitor. Then during boot procedure you can press the function key specified for ROM based iLO configuration. you can set static IP adresses here.

viking_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks everyone.I could make it work atlast.

Made some changes to the server ILO setting through F8, and also changed the DHCP scope of the server.
Also Cross checked whether the ILO port on the core switch and the DHCP server are in the same VLAN. Found some ambiguity.
Now the DHCP server is able to lease IP addr to the servers.
Thanks once again for the time and effort in repling.
Regards
Vik
viking_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks everyone.I could make it work atlast.

Made some changes to the server ILO setting through F8, and also changed the DHCP scope of the server.
Also Cross checked whether the ILO port on the core switch and the DHCP server are in the same VLAN. Found some ambiguity.
Now the DHCP server is able to lease IP addr to the servers.
Thanks once again for the time and effort in repling.
Regards
Vik