ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752282 Members
4844 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Acronym Soup: PSP, SPP, SUM, SIM, etc.

SOLVED
Go to solution
epretorious
Regular Advisor

Acronym Soup: PSP, SPP, SUM, SIM, etc.

Wow - There's an unbelievable number of additional features that come with a Proliant server! e.g., Proliant Essentials Foundation Pack; Proliant Insight Foundation Suite; Proliant Support Pack (SPP); Support Pack for Proliant (SPP); Smart Update Manager (SUM); Smart Update Firmware DVD (SUF); Systems Insight Manager (SIM); SmartStart; etc.

Is there a single document available that provides an overview of all of these different components, illustrates which components are a subcomponent of others (e.g., "Proliant Insight Foundation Suite... [combines] a Smart Update Firmware DVD with two SmartStart CDs... and the Management DVD featuring HP Systems Insight Manager (SIM) and Insight Remote Support Standard."), and explains which components replace/obsolte others (e.g., "Proliant Insight Foundation Suite... was formerly known as the HP ProLiant Essentials Foundation Pack.")

Eric Pretorious
9 REPLIES 9
epretorious
Regular Advisor

Would this question be better suited in one of the 71 categories / 151 boards in the Software forum or, because it relates to the DL series of Proliant servers, is it better suited for this board?

Eric Pretorious
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

TVVJ
HPE Pro

The HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) is the one product that combines deployment of both firmware and ProLiant Support Pack. This replaces the Insight Foundation.  Insight Foundation was previously known as HP ProLiant Essentials Foundation Pack. More information about SPP is at:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/documentation/index.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen

These are collections of firmware and support pack bundles for HP ProLiant Servers. SPP is available from HP ProLiant Generation 7 Servers. Prior to Generation 7 servers, HP Insight Foundation is used. SPP does not include HP SIM. This has to be downloaded separately.

HP Insight Foundation:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/core-management-100.html

HP Smart Update Manager (SUM) is a technology included in many HP systems software maintenance and management products for installing and updating firmware and system software components on HP ProLiant and HP Integrity servers, enclosures, and options.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/hpsum/index.html

There may not be a single document dealing with them, but hope the above clarifies your query.

Regards

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

epretorious
Regular Advisor

> The HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) is the one product that combines deployment of both firmware and

> ProLiant Support Pack. This replaces the Insight Foundation.  Insight Foundation was previously known as

> HP ProLiant Essentials Foundation Pack...  SPP is available from HP ProLiant Generation 7 Servers. Prior

> to Generation 7 servers, HP Insight Foundation is used.

Thanks, Vijayasarathy.

Would I use HP Insight Foundation for installing PSP and updating the firmware of DL365 G1 Proliant servers (411358-001, 411358-001, 411360-001, and 411361-001) then?

Eric Pretorious
TVVJ
HPE Pro

HP Insight Foundation is not single software, but a collection of tools to assist in setting up and maintaining HP ProLiant Servers.

Each series such as DL series, ML series of 300, 500, 700 series servers and generation of servers such as generations 1 (G1) to generation 7 (G7) have various version of PSPs as the final versions. For example, HP ProLiant DL380 G1 server series has PSP version 7.60(A) as the final supported version.

Hence, it is advisable to download the relevant latest version of PSPs and Firmware DVD/CD images of the server in question from its relevant driver download page.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@TVVJ wrote:

Each series such as DL series, ML series of 300, 500, 700 series servers and generation of servers such as generations 1 (G1) to generation 7 (G7) have various version of PSPs as the final versions. For example, HP ProLiant DL380 G1 server series has PSP version 7.60(A) as the final supported version... Hence, it is advisable to download the relevant latest version of PSPs and Firmware DVD/CD images of the server in question from its relevant driver download page.

IIUC, The  HP ProLiant DL365 [G1] download drivers and software page indicates that...

1. Support Pack for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (x86_64) version 8.73 (13 Sep 2011) is the latest available PSP (for RHEL5-x86_64).
  2. Smart Update Firmware DVD version 9.30 (5 May 2011) is the latest availableSmart Update Firmware DVD.

Is that right?

Thanks, again, Vijayasarathy for all your patience and support!

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

What about all of those other components on the HP ProLiant DL365 [G1] download drivers and software page? Do I need those?

Is there a guide that provides comprehensive guidance on starting from scratch? The HP ProLiant Firmware Management Planning Guide Best Practices provides a good starting point but doesn't give a complete overview and falls short of complete set-up (i.e., What to do after updating the firmware).

Eric Pretorious
TVVJ
HPE Pro

You may refer to page (8/11) of the HP ProLiant Firmware Management Overview

Best Practices, locatable at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02225412/c02225412.pdf

For list of components of ProLiant Support Pack (PSP), please refer to page 5/44 of the PSP user guide, locatable at the following link:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02532067/c02532067.pdf

The drivers listed for Smart Array controllers, and Lights-Out Management provides functionality of the Smart Array Controller and iLO to the operating system. The driver section of Network contains drivers of various options and that of different vendors that is recommended for this server series. For information about the NICs whose drivers are present, navigate to tab Release notes of each entry in the Network drivers listed. Hence they are required based on the cards installed.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

The HP ProLiant DL365 Server series have support of the versions of PSP and Smart Update Firmware DVD as stated by you.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo