1753954 Members
7547 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Adaptec 1405 I2C compatibility with HP 5U Tower G6 Server Hard Disk Drive Cage

Benjamin Houttuin
Occasional Contributor

Adaptec 1405 I2C compatibility with HP 5U Tower G6 Server Hard Disk Drive Cage

I have installed a Adaptec 1405 inside my HP ML150 G6 and connected it to the backpane of the drivecage of the additional bought "5U Tower G6 Server Hard Disk Drive Cage option".

This means:
1x a minisas 2 minisas cable is connected
1x a 3pin I2C cable is connected

The I2C cable connector that is shipped with the "HP 5U Tower G6 Server Hard Disk Drive Cage option" is not compatible with the connector socket on the adaptec card (connector is thicker but the male-pins on the adaptec card do align with the female-pins on the HP I2C cable). To overcome this I removed the connector socket on the adaptec card, allowing me the HP I2C cable connector to slide onto the 3 pins.

I tried both combinations possible but still the drive LEDs of the with SATA filled hot-swap trays do not light up in operation.
They are not broken as when I PowerUp the ML150 G6 they do blink onces at the beginning of the Boot Sequence.

I already had contact with Adaptec and they did document there pin layout.
It's documented here (page 59): http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation_guides/Adaptec_1405_1045_IUG.pdf

So the I2C pin mapping on the Adaptec card is:
pin 1 = I2C_DATA
pin 2 = Ground
pin 3 = I2C_CLOCK

Because the documentation on HP side does not cover these details I cannot troubleshoot this issue.

Therefor my concrete questions are:

- What are the pin mappings and configurations needed to get HP backpane connected to the Adaptec 1405?

- Will this allow me to see the disk activity and code LED's as they are not working now. (Only the activity LED's on the Adaptec 1405 card self light up on but that is on the card that is inside the Case).

- Is the I2C cable supplied with the "5U Tower G6 Server Hard Disk Drive Cage option" only compatible with HP SmartArray cards?

Thank you very very much!

Benjamin