1748043 Members
4799 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adaptec 2420SA in DL380G4: can't create RAID array

Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

Adaptec 2420SA in DL380G4: can't create RAID array

I have two Seagate drives attached to the card, when I boot the server I can get into the card BIOS and see the drives, format them, error check them etc. However, when I try to create a RAID set, the opening screen says "No drives found". Have rebooted several times and tried different drives, would really appreciate some help! Of course, the OS can't see any drives as the card hasn't made them available....
9 REPLIES 9
jperezme
Advisor

Have you insert drives into raid before create raid ? You must use ins key and select two drives then create array and setting to boot from it.
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

The problem is, when I enter the "Create Arrays" menu, a red screen with "No drives found" pops up and I can't go any further. I don't think that I can press the Insert key to select a drive...none are there. Also, I don't want to boot from the RAID set, it is just a data array.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

What kind of Seagate HDD are you trying to connect? Do you have the hard drive part number. Keep in mind that this controller recognizes SATA hdd only. If you are trying a SCSI or SAS HDD is not going to be recognized. The storage controller is not officially supported. The DL380 G4 SCSI model has a smart array 6i integrated, make sure you getting into the Adaptec 2420SA configuration utility and not ORCA for the smart array.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

During the OS installation, once you have created the array, remember to load the storage controller DRIVER, otherwise the OS might not detect the logical volume.
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II drives, identical firmware. Please note, I am *not* getting to OS boot at this point, this is the BIOS boot of the DL380, after the SCSI array has initialised. The Adaptec SATA BIOS is entered by A and I can then configure disks - except I can't. I can see them in disk utilities but I *cannot* see any disks in Create Array, nor does pressing do anything as the only option is to hit which takes me back to the menu.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

ok, I don't have the answer in this case, but check the guide might help you:

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation_guides/Adaptec_RAID_Installation_Users_Guide-10-24-2006.pdf

Just to try, do you have an smart start CD?, this cd works with smart array controller, but according to this guide you can use the Array Configuration Utility to create the array with this controller, give it a try and see if it works.
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

I have a SmartStart somewhere, I will give it a try and report back!
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

So, SmartStart made no difference, but after ploughing through a very convoluted document trail, I finally found an Adaptec document that indicates the 7200.11 1.5Tb drives are not supported!! The largest drive supported is 750Gb - I now have two bricks looking for a new location!
Dmi3y_1