1752785 Members
6279 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adaptec vs Ultrium 920 in a DL380 G7

Victor Hendriks

Adaptec vs Ultrium 920 in a DL380 G7

Hello,

which adaptec scsi conttroller can I use to put in a DL380 G7 and have it work with a HP Ultrium 920 tapedrive?
3 REPLIES 3
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would use the

HP StorageWorks U320e SCSI Dual Channel Host Bus Adapter
NOTE: Recommended HBA for MSL SCSI Tape Library connect.
AH627A

Adaptec controllers some times have issues with HP firmware. Use the HP AH627A recommended for your DL380 G7. All components are on the quickspec sheets for each server.
Victor Hendriks

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply but I really need an Adapted controller :-)

Gr.
Victor
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Why? What is the issue with HP SCSI controllers? Do you have performance issues with the tape drive?

I use an LSI Logic controller at home for my HP Ultrium LTO 3 SCSI tape drive and two Exaabyte VXA-320s. I use the HP SAS controller for my two LT0 4 tape drives on my ML370 G5. LSI Logic makes most of the SCSI and SAS controllers for HP. HP just puts in their firmware.

The issue you will run into with Non-HP controller is the firmwware might cause issues on a Non-HP controller. I tried Adaptec and LSI Logic controllers on my HP Proliants in the past. They had tape issues with performance and SCSI time outs due to firmware issues. The HP controller will allow you to upgrade the firmware on the controller and tape drive to match.

Do you have PCI-X or PCIe slots available? Are they in the riser or on-board? I have seen SCSI controllers have issues in a riser on three different HP Proliant models. I put them in a server that has an on-board slot for better performance.