Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Disk to SmartArray532

BonSirop
Occasional Contributor

Add Disk to SmartArray532

Hello, i have a ML530 Server with:
- smartarray 532
- 3 Hard Drive in Raid five in the first 3 bays, on witch 4 partitions are created. C, H, G, F

The problem is: C, the system partition is running out of space.
I want to add 2 additional HDD in aRAID 1 configuration; restore the system partition on this raid; and delete the system partion on the raid 5. That'S mean, keep the raid five onlt for data.

- My 2 new Hard Drive will be installed in bays 4 and 5. I will create a new array, and a new raid 1 volume on which i will restore the system partion.

-Do i have to absolutly put the boot volume in bay 1 and 2 ? That'mean, can i create the boot volume (C) in bay 4 and 5 ?

-How to make the computer boot on the new raid 1 volume instead?
4 REPLIES
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Add Disk to SmartArray532

Hi,

the smart array controllers will always boot from logical drive 1.

There is a workaround in about 15 steps to swap the logical drive numbering...will search my docs and will post it later, or if someone else has it, will not search.

Other thing you can do is to expand the array & extend the logical drive with this 2 HDDs and then to use 3rd party tool like partition magic to extend the system partition(there were another workarounds posted in this forum)

>> Do i have to absolutly put the boot volume in bay 1 and 2 ?
- No, but the HDds in slot 4&5 must become log drive 1

Regards
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

That's correct! Whenever a logical drive is created on a Smart Array controller, it is assigned a logical drive number that it will keep from that point on.The logical drive number determines the order that it is presented to the host (from that specific controller) at the BIOS level. A system that has the boot drive with a logical drive number other than 1 therefore becomes susceptible to this issue if a new logical drive is created and assigned a lower logical drive number. The Smart Array controller will always assign the lowest available logical drive number to a new logical drive.

For example, a test logical drive is created and assigned a logical drive number 1. A second logical drive is created and assigned a logical drive number 2. The first logical drive is then deleted, leaving only number 2. The OS is then installed on this logical drive.

In this scenario, everything works fine until a new logical drive is created. It is assigned a logical drive number 1 and the next time the system is booted the BIOS sees this as the first hard drive and tries to boot from it.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

The Smart Array controllers allow no manual control over the logical drive numbering, nor does it allow recreating logical drives without initialising, therefore the only solution is to work with the controller's logic to achieve the desired end result - renumbering the OS logical drive to number 1.

This is not an officially supported resolution. Although all testing provided successful results, it is not guaranteed to work.

01. Power off system
02. Remove drives containing existing logical drive 2 and place safely aside
03. Install a spare drive, or two if available
04. Power on system
05. During SMART Array controller initialisation, you'll obviously get some errors about the 'missing or failed disks'. Respond to the prompt any way you like, but be sure to enter the ORCA utility (at the F8) prompt
06. Delete all existing logical drive configuration

Next, there are two possible paths to take. If you have more than one spare drive, the first is the quickest

07. Create a logical drive 1 on a spare drive. Note this drive as 'Spare B'
08. Create a logical drive 2 with another spare drive. Note this drive as 'Spare A'
09. Delete logical drive 1
10. Save configuration and exit
11. Power off server
12. Remove the 'Spare B' drive that you used in steps 7 and 9
13. Install drives containing original logical drive 2
14. Power on server
15. During SMART Array controller initialisation, it will detect your old logical drive 2 as a valid logical drive and attempt to add it to the controller's configuration. As logical drive 2 already exists (we just created it on 'Spare A'), it will assign it a new logical drive number. It will take the first available logical drive number, which we've set up to be number 1 in steps 7-9 above.
16. Problem solved! To finish up, remove the 'Spare A' drive (after deleting the logical drive 2 configuration) if desired.

If you only have a single spare, the method is almost the same but will take slightly longer. Continue directly from step 6 above

07. Save the blank configuration
08. Boot the appropriate SmartStart CD
NOTE: If you happen to restart the server with a blank configuration, be sure NOT to accept any 'default configuration' the controller may try to assign
09. Run the ACU, and cancel any configuration wizards that may first appear
10. Manually create a logical drive 1 on the spare drive, using only half the available space
11. Create a logical drive 2 with the remaining space
12. Delete logical drive 1
13. Save configuration and exit
14. Power off server
15. Install drives containing original logical drive 2
16. Power on server
17. During SMART Array controller initialisation, it will detect your old logical drive 2 as a valid logical drive and attempt to add it to the controller's configuration. As logical drive 2 already exists (we just created it), it will assign it a new logical drive number. It will take the first available logical drive number, which we've set up to be number 1 in steps 10-12 above.
18. Problem solved! To finish up, remove the spare drive (after deleting the logical drive 2 configuration) if desired.

If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
BonSirop
Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys; i will give it a try and let you know the results.