1752416 Members
6525 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add Emulex firmware to Firmware DVD 9.00

Sammy Bogaert

Add Emulex firmware to Firmware DVD 9.00

Hi,

i need to update my HP Emulex HBA's (FC2142SR) to firmware 2.82a4. (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1809835&prodNameId=1143949&swEnvOID=54&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-82500-1)

The previous firmware is included in Firmware DVD 9.00 (2.80a4).

How do i include Firmware 2.82a4 in Firmware DVD/USB?
HP states i need a Smart Component for Linux to include it in the DVD. But i can't find a single Smart Component for Linux for Emulux HBA firmwares (even the smart components included in the Firmware DVD are not available on the HP website as a single download).

Many thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hi Sammy i came across this article a while back not sure where

A ├в a high level ├в how to├в ├в :-)))

I have just simply copied the affected packages to the swpackages folder. Full stop. :-)))

But let├в s try to detail>

1. You have an iso image of the 9.0 FW DVD
2. You put it on a pendrive with the HP USB Key Utility found on the same page with the FW DVD. First trick> as the iso image is about 800MB (as I remember) you would expect that it will easily fit onto a 1GB pendrive. But NOT! During the preparation of the pendrive the utility will request at least 1200MB (!!!), so at least a 2GB pendrive to be used...
3. On that pendrive there is the x:\HPFWUP900\hp\swpackages folder that contains all the individual packages. I have just copied here the newer packages ├в NO repository edited, NO xml trick, NO removing the older ones, nothing.... I gave it a try, and magic> it works. After the automatic run of the upgrade the FW version was of the newer one, not the older one from the 9.0 FW bundle. There was no ├в serious integration├в in its classical meaning.
4. Obviously, you have to copy there the linux online packages (.scexe files) as we are talking about the FW CD-based FW deployment ├в wich is nothing but a simplified linux environment. And those packages are also downloaded from the Support and Drivers page of the affected device or product.
5. Just give it a try, it is really very simple ├в and I am happy to find something that really works well and simply. No problems encountered, it just works as it has to. Which is not the case for example of the OA-based ISO sharing....
6. So I even tried to use the iso image on a pendrive inserted into the OA, and presenting it to individual blades. I tried it for only two blades, they booted up and both of them got locked at a point. This issue might have its own reasons, but it was enough for me / I succeeded with going through all the blades individually upgrading in parallel with two or more pendrives (yes, I had only about 30... :-)

But the automatic FW-upgrade is really cool...

(and after that it will automatically boot to the os even with the pendrive plugged...)

(and even if it will boot for second time it will just look around behind the scenes, and do nothing, continuing to boot the OS ├в this might be a test wether every FW component has done its job...)

This is how we thank each other in the forum
its for all who contribute in assisting

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

You must be logged into the forum to assign points.

If you are logged in then all of the responses will have a "Points" window at the top right. Enter the points here.

When you have assigned all of the points, THEN click on "assign points"
Sammy Bogaert

I am aware of the method you are describing. But, i'm unable to find the Firmware Update for Emulex HBA's (2.82a4) in a smart component -> scexe format.

I looked everywhere on the HP website but nothing to be found...

Thanks for your help so far!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Strange.. couldn't find it either. Only the "universal"

As it is an Emulx HBA, maybe you need to upgrade this via the HBAnywhere?

Just found this advisory:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02206724

Sammy Bogaert

True,

HBanywhere does work, but includes some extra work for our Operations team.

The smart components must exist somewhere, because the 2.80a4 (previous firmware) is included in Firmware DVD 9.00
But even this version included in Firmware DVD is nowhere to be found on HP site.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

True, I suggest that you contact HP support for this, maybe L2 can find this smart component as it obviously does not appear to be available on hp.com anyway. (I searched on HP's internal website and found no hits for 2.82a4).
Sammy Bogaert

Allright,

let's contact HP support and see if they come up with something :-)

Many thanks for your help!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good luck, please let us know how things goes :)
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Boys,
maybe I am wrong, but I have never seen an online HBA firmware upgrade package for both Emulex or Qlogic HBA's.
As I know, you have either to wait until new firmware is available in offline firmware cd/dvd, either use HBA utils (Emulex - OneCommand, Qlogic - SanSurfer) to update firmware online in operatin system enviroment.

So, please use firmware on: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1143949&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1809835&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
and HBA utility (I assume use of linux) on: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1809835&prodNameId=1143949&swEnvOID=4004&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-69759-2

Have a nice day,

Jan
Sammy Bogaert

Jan,

i think you are partially right.

You indeed have to boot into the Firmware CD/DVD. But if you check the contents of that DVD, it contains smart components (eg. online firmware updates for linux). They are all named *.scexe, so i guess they must exist somewhere.

I hope 2.82a4 is released soon on Firmware DVD. It took HP ages to release 2.80a4 so fingers crossed.