108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add Hard drive on DL 380

SOLVED
Go to solution
michele_40
Advisor

Add Hard drive on DL 380

I do have a HP DL380 with 5 hard drivers of 36 GB, now I do have an extra drive of 73 GB on hand, could I add this hard drive to the actual array that I have if the other five hard drives are of 36 GB, I am using windows 2003 server operating system?

I am using RAID 5.
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

Can be done
even you can replace all 36 GB with 73 GB one by ONE
all this process uses ACU & Diskmanager

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
michele_40
Advisor

Could you give more information on how to do that, do you have a reference documents that has a step by step on doing this?

Now that the 36GB are difficult to find and the 73GB are more common, I would like to know on how to change the actual 36GB hard drive to the new 73GB hard drives.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Run the Array Configuration Utility (ACU)from within Windows. Insert the drive and then from withing the ACU you can add the new disk to the existing RAID5 array. It will expand but only 36GB of the 72GB drive will be available.

Free space will appear at the end of your logical disk within the Windows Disk Manager.

You can replace all the drives. If you do it one at a time the controller will treat them as failed drives and rebuild the new 72GB drive. Again it will only make 36GB available. Once the last drive has completed its rebuild then all 72GB will be available from each drive.
e4services
Honored Contributor

THere you go the answer. Finally.
Yes a 73GB can replace or be added to an array of 36GB, but it will be truncated to 36GB.

What 36GB are hard to find? We sure have plenty. The 18's are the ones out of production
Hot Swap Hard Drives
michele_40
Advisor

Thank you all for the help, now I am 100% clear on how to migrate from 36GB to 72GB hard drives.