108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add IDE drive to ML 350 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Add IDE drive to ML 350 G3

I would like to add a cheap ide drive to my proliant ml350. page 4-12 of the pdf document "pro 350 setup+use" says that this is not supported. I tried it anyway! I could not get it to work.(actually the system recognises the drive but always tries to boot from it bypassing the scsi drives)I went to setup controller card order, it seems the ide controller must be in spot 2 of 4(1 is smart controller 3and 4 are the scsi controllers the only option available for ide controller is 2)I can accept that the book is right and it is not supported, but would it work if I installed an ide pci controller card? I do not want to boot from the ide drive. Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Alan, this is one of the time where not supported means not possible. Quite a few people already tried that, but the architecture for the system just was not made to have an IDE drive on it.
Basically your system is specting to find scsi hard drives and no matter what we do, is not going to read from ide internal port to another drive.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
e4services
Honored Contributor

By design most IDE Chip Sets force the boot strap. And besides the onboard IDE controller may not provide full functionality, also by design of Compaq/HP to limit use to CDs.
Yes, you can add an IDE controller, but the controller must have a configurable BIOS, like the SCSI, that can be customized to not boot attached devices. You will find that inexpensive/simple controllers will not offer such a thing and will function similarly to the onboard, hijacking the boot strap.
Try the Adaptec, if I remember it does have a configurable BIOS
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

I just checked. The Adaptec ASH-1233 ULTRA ATA/133 CARD does have a configurable BIOS. During the boot cycle, the card will post and show the following message:

Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller Bios Version 3.2.10
Copyright ├В┬й 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
Press F3 to enter Configuration Utility

Press F3 to enter the BIOS. The card will then display the devices attached to the card and will show to Enter the set number of the drive that you want to become/or remove as the boot drive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

e4services: It looks like I was too hasty in assigning points! This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to find. Someone who had made this work. I assumed the other answer was correct (he appeared to be from HP) Is there a way to reassign points?
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alan!

I've connected an Hitachi 500GB UDMA6 IDE drive. The ML350 G3 is running at Windows Server 2003 SP1.

I've created only an extended partition with an logical volume at the IDE drive. So the system didn't boot from this drive.

But there is another problem: the HP BIOS designers apparently forces to recognize harddisks with PIO mode (DVD writer are recognized e.g. with UDMA2 instead!!), and WS 2003 seems to be not able to correct this or doesn't offer a switch to change the mode.

With Linux I've successfully switched the IDE drive to UDMA5 (because ML 350 G3 IDE chipset "CSB5" is an UDMA5 [ATA100] controller, not UDMA6).

(With PIO mode I've rates about 2MB/sec, with UDMA5 about 58MB/sec.)

(Thank you, HP/Compaq!)

So I'm looking for a method to force the IDE drive to UDMA with Windows Server 2003.

Cheers,
Hasso
LT Chia

Me too put in a hard drive and notice that it is in PIO mode (Windows Server 2003) and runs very slow. Is there any one managed to tweak it to run as Ultra DMA mode?
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hello Alan, hello LT Chia!

First @Alan:
Yes, onboard IDE controller is only placable to position 2 at boot/controller priority. At my system the SmartArray with the bootable partition is at position 1 - similar to your configuration.
The system is reliably booting from SmartArray like expected - I don't think the reason is my only extended partition at the IDE drive. Boot/controller priority seems to be working correctly in this case, I think.

(But keep in mind: at onboard CSB5 controller HP/Compaq BIOS didn't allow > PIO4 for harddisks.)

@LT Chia & Alan:
IMO there's no way to get onboard CSB5 IDE controller running in > PIO4 mode for harddisks.
(HP/Compaq BIOS support would be necessary - and there isn't.)

(By the way: My DVD writer is running at UDMA2. So it's technically possible.)

I've added a fine Promise Ultra133 TX2 controller (66MHz PCI) to the server. Now my UDMA6 IDE harddrive is successfully running at UDMA6 speed (without booting from it).

But don't use the 32-bit slot (by the way 33MHz) - at this slot I wasn't able to prevent booting from connected IDE drives althoug in boot/controller priority it was ordered at the last position (5).

One of the two PCI-X busses works for me - the one which wasn't used by SmartArray (to prevent reducing to 66MHz).

Another 8 hours to find/solve this unexpected disfunction of HP/Compaq BIOS (including Promise support, too).
(THANK YOU, HP/Compaq - AGAIN!)

By the way: be careful of high temperature with a fast IDE drive at bad cooled 5,25" slot positions (little airflow).

Max. cable length is aditionally a problem with a separate controller.

Cheers,
Hasso
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

e4services, I hope you are still monitering this thread. I purchased the adaptec controller you mentioned. Also a three foot cable! You are correct when the system boots I am prompted to push f3.

When I enter the config utility I am indeed presented with two choices: f1 add hdd f2 remove hdd (my drive is recognized here)

I enter f2 my only option is a question: do you want to change the boot configuration? y/n?

I have tried both each time the system boots and says drive C is a non system disk.

Maybe I am missing something? I still can't bypass the system trying to boot from the ide device.
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alan!

I'm not e4services, but I'll reply anyway:

Have you read my post, too?

I didn't know the Adaptec controller (probably an externally purchased part) and it's abilities to permit booting from or pushing drive C: into the list of drives.

Are you using the 32-bit slot or one of the 64-bit slots for the Adaptec?

I assume your controller will also subordinate itself to the HP/Compaq BIOS controller and boot order, if you're not using the 32-bit slot.

Tell us about your results.

Hasso