108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add IDE drive to ML 350 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hasso, I did read your post. Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried one of the 64 bit slots and had an irq conflict, so I moved it to a 32 bit slot. I didn't try all of the 64 bit slots however, so I could move it again.

I entered the bios setup and confirmed that the adaptec controller is at the bottom of the boot order.

Thank you.
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alan!

I had a SmartArray at slot 2 (PCI bus 1) and finally the Promise controller at slot 3 (PCI bus 2). Few cards => few interrupts ;-).

But even with more cards: a ServerWorks chipset should have enough interrupt channels, shouldn't it?

With my Promise controller at slot 5 (the 32-bit slot) I'd this "another mass storage controller" (or similar) at position 5 in controller/boot order list, too. But the system had tried to boot from this controller anyway.

Therfore the "trick" with the more suitable 64-bit slot / PCI bus 2.

Hasso
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hi Hasso

Looking at the documentation that came with my server(pdf doc named Pro350 setup and use)I found a drawing of the system board. This drawing does not match the slots actually existing on my system!

I have tried all the 64 bit slots with the exception of the slot my array controller is plugged into. The three slots I have tried are labeled bus 2, bus 5, bus 5 by the pdf document.

It would be nice if I could draw a picture to show you my setup.

Anyway if I plug the adaptec controller into any of the three 64 bit slots I recieve this error on reboot:

1706-Extended BIOS data area memory has been corrupted. Array controller interrupt 13h BIOS cannot continue. System halted.

That doesn't sound good.

Alan
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alan!

Get a better matching set of documentation via download if you want. But it shouldn't be helpful at this point. (Be sure to look for generation 3 [G3].)

Bus "2" and "5", you're right. The same here (not 1 and 2). My Promise controller runs at the free PCI bus 5 at slot 3.

Your error message: probably controller BIOS memory overlapping. Should originally dynamically mapped at different addresses. Strange.
(Perhaps a special problem with your Adaptec controller [larger BIOS] in opposite to my Promise controller?)

Do you have updated your mainbord BIOS to the most current version?
Do you have updated your SmartArray BIOS to the most current version? (Be sure to have a recent backup of your array disks if you're performing such fundamental tasks!!)

(I did both, too.)

I'm looking forward to your results.

Hasso
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hasso, I need to flash the bios I am sure it is not up to date. Trying to determine the correct procedure looks complicated! Something about on the cd or use a usb drive. I will have to do it later I am out of time today.

Thanks for your input. I will let you know what happens.

Alan
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Updating mainboard BIOS and SmartArray BIOS is easy! From within Windows possible!

Go to HPs Download Center and get the two single files.

One of it should be (e.g.) "Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant ML350 G3 (D14) version 2004.09.15 (15 Oct 04)"
as a single file like "cp00????.exe". This single file is already included in the PSP (see below).

Or get the whole PSP 7.51 (ProLiant Service Pack, e.g. "psp-7.51.w2k3.i386.exe" for WS2k3) which will update all matching BIOSes and drivers at this server at the same time.

Cheers,
Hasso
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hasso

I finally got back to this project today!

I have everything updated with curent software including the system BIOS and the array controller.

When I get a chance I will try to install the card again. I hope this works.

I will reply when I am done.

Alan
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hasso

Eureka! It finally works. The first time I rebooted after updating I recieved the error I had produced while using the 32 bit slot before.(non system disk) At least I didn't get the bad error.

I went to the system setup and changed the cards irq from 11 to 10. Wallah it worked.

Thanks for all your help.

Alan
Alan McInroy
Occasional Advisor

Hasso

I neglected to mention tat I assigned some points for you.

Alan
Hasso Meyer-Jordan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alan!

Great that it finally works! I love to conquer stubborn systems!

But I didn't understand precisely what you've done with the controller after upgrading BIOSs.

At first reboot you had the controller at a 64-bit slot but got (by chance) the same error like in former times with controller at 32-bit slot?
At next reboot (with changed irq assignment) it was ok?

Or is your controller now running at the 32-bit slot (with changed irq assignment)?

Hasso

P.S. Thank you for the points!