1753856 Members
7540 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add a disk into a Proliant ML350 G4

Chris Stradling
Occasional Advisor

Add a disk into a Proliant ML350 G4

Hi, I have a G4 with a 130GB Disk RAID 5 all working nicely. I have a 70GB disk full of important ghost images that i need to add to this server - (this drive came out of a G3) The previous server was 3 disks all RAID 5 and then this disk was added at a later date due to space issues. It was not made part of the array. When i put this disk in the new server and boot it up, the system see's and spins the disk as you would expect it to, but then says it cannot find the drive to boot from (C:) then reboots. Is there something i need to configure in order for this disk to not get in the way of the server booting up? So i can then add this disk as a separate disk?
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

How is installed hot plug or not ?
ID 0 or bay 0 or last ?
Can you pull out it and restart server once again ?
If it boots power down and add to last bay or correct ID if not hot plug
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The reason this is probably happening is because all of the array configuration from the previous server is being seen on this one drive. Is the array controller giving errors during post about failed or missing drives? In order to get the machine to boot up correctly you'll likely need to boot to Smart Start and delete the logical drive it thinks is missing. This would best be done with only this only drive installed, then once the logical drive the controller is complaining about is removed, you can add the other drives back in at the original positions.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Chris Stradling
Occasional Advisor

That sounds reasonable. I will boot with this disk only and use smart start to remove the logical drive. Hopefully then, when I put the main disk back it will boot with the additional disk with all the data.

I will let you know what happens.