New Discussion юеВ

Add disk to RAID 5 on ML350

SOLVED
Go to solution
YannickG
Occasional Advisor

Add disk to RAID 5 on ML350

Hi,

I want to add a disk to my current RAID5 array on a Smart Array 641. My server is a ML350 G3 running Windows 2003 Ent SP1.

Currently I have 3 disks with 2 partitions on them(C:\ and D:\). What I would like to do is add 5 gigs to C: and the rest to D:, is that possible ?

What would be the steps required to add the disk successfully ? Is there any updates I should do before proceding ? I read here that I should flash the smart array 641 with the latest firmware, is that right ?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Re: Add disk to RAID 5 on ML350

Hello Yannick,

This may be possible depending on how you have your arrays setup.

If C and D are on separate arrays, you will not be able to split the drive between them. If they are in the same array and just different logical drives, you will be able to.

Here is a guide that will be of great help:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf

Regards
Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What you want to do is definitely possible. There are a few dependancies though on how easy or hard it may be to accomplish.

The first question is... is your C: drive 1 Logical drive in the array? and the D: drive another Logical drive? or is there only 1 logical drive with 2 partitions.

In Disk Management, you can tell the difference by looking at the right side window and counting the disks. There should be a Disk 0 with your C: drive. If you have one logical drive, then your D: drive will laos be here. If you have 2 logical drives, you will then have a "Disk 1" with a D: drive

If you have 2 logical drives, you will be able to extend your data drive easily using diskpart.exe.

If you have only a single logical drive, you will likely have to use a 3rd party partitioning utility to make the changes as diskpart will not work on the system drive.

Which do you have? 2 logical? or 1 logical?

Another way to tell is to go into the ACU and look at the array. It will tell you if there is 1 logical drive or 2.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
YannickG
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

see attached file.

I have two logical drives.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

After you install the new drive and "expand" the array with it... you then need to "extend" your logical drives.

For Logical Drive 2, you can use diskpart. Info here...

" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us "

Pretty simple to work with, just run from command line and it drops you into a shell...

diskpart.exe
DISKPART>select disk 1
Disk 1 Selected
DISKPART>select partition 1
Partition 1 Selected
DISKPART>extend

Use...

list disk
list partition

...to see disk info.

Takes all of about 1 minute to enter all of the commands and literally takes like 1 second to complete the "extend".

For your C: drive, you will have to find a 3rd party utility, something similar to Partition Magic. Last I head PM did not work on "Server" edition of Windows.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
YannickG
Occasional Advisor

when I run diskpart and list the partition on disk 1 I get 2 partition, "extended" and "logical", which one should I extend ? I guess the "extended" one, please confirm.

and I wont be able to use diskpart on disk 0 because it's the system drive, is that it ? Can anybody sugggest any third party partition manager software, I have always used PM but I have never did on a server.

Is it possible to use HP ACU to extend partitions ? The manual seems to say so...

Thanks!
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Yannick,

I'm not sure on the full working of diskpart so I'll leave that up to everyone else. The ACU will not allow windows to see the extra drives, it gets the drives to the point where windows "can" use the extra drive space. I have seen PM used on a server and it went well, but have your backup if you're going to try it. An enterprise Partition Manager can be VERY costly.

Just a quick link I found for a server version of Partition Manager
http://www.partition-manager.com/corporate/server/

I'm sure partition magic will work just fine though. It's not changnig the array, just how much of the array windows sees/uses.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
YannickG
Occasional Advisor

so basically what I have to do is :

1. Install the new hard disk in my server
2. Use HP ACU to add the drive to my current array
3. Use a 3rd party partition manager to extend my two logical drives. (I'll use a partition manager to extend to two drives since I'm forced to do it for C:)

Am I right ?

Thanks! :)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"when I run diskpart and list the partition on disk 1 I get 2 partition, "extended" and "logical", which one should I extend ? I guess the "extended" one, please confirm. "

Can you attach a screen shot?

"Is it possible to use HP ACU to extend partitions ? The manual seems to say so... "

ACU is used to "extend" the logical drives so Windows can "see: the extra available space. The partition manager is used IN windows to so the box can "use" the space.

The steps are...

1. Install Drive
2. Use ACU to EXPAND the Array
3. Use ACU to EXTEND your logical drive(s)
4. Use DISKPART for your D: drive
5. Use 3rd party for your C: Drive
or use 3RD PARTY for both drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
YannickG
Occasional Advisor

ok, I think I get it.

1. install drive
2. expand array(adds the new disk to existing array, creating unallocated space)
3. extend logical drives(adds unallocated space to those drives, creating unused space)

then I use diskpart or PM to "stretch" my existing partition to take the new unused space.

thanks for all the support, I'll let you know how it went and...if I still have a job...! :-P