1752302 Members
4670 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add extra disk to raid5 set on Windows 2003

Andrew Webb_4
Occasional Contributor

Add extra disk to raid5 set on Windows 2003

I have a three disk raid set on a Windows 2003 Proliant (ML530G3) server and need some more space. It's a basic disk in Windows 2003. If I plug in a hotswap disk, can I add it to the existing RAID volume and will that appear in Windows as additional space on the basic disk without losing any data or do I lose the data if I add the drive ?

Thanks

Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Re: Add extra disk to raid5 set on Windows 2003

Adding a new physical disk will allow you to enter the array expansion wizard in order to extend the array.

The new disk must be the same size or larger than those forming the RAID5 set. If it is larger then it will only allow you to utilise the size of the existing disks.

Once the expansion has completed (it will run in background) the result will be that the logical disk within Windows Disk Administrator will show free space at the end. You may then use this space to create another partition.

It is possible to extend an existing partition and if you need to do this please ask.

Your existing data will remain but you are always advised to backup the system before you begin.
kevin f

I need to extend the partitions after I expand the array on a ml350 g2 server.
How do I do that? I have upgraded firwmare, drivers, etc already.
I have 3 18gig drives now and I am adding 2 more.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor