1752595 Members
3631 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add hot spare without Array Manager

mikenchi
Occasional Advisor

Add hot spare without Array Manager

Hi all- appreciate any help in advance, in a bit of a bind here. Have a Proliant ML310 G5 with a Smart Array E200 raid controller, set up with RAID 1 config. It's running ESXi 4.0 free version. When I installed ESXi, the hot spare was not in the server and was not configured to be a hot spare. Now I want to add the 3rd drive back in as a hot spare. Trouble is there is no Array Mgr software to use for this. When I go into the raid card bios, I don't see any way to add a hot spare to an existing array.

Help! Is it possible to add the third disk as a hot spare without destroying the array and rebuilding?
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

did you tried to boot the smartstartcd ???

there is a ADU, it could be possible to add the online spare, but i/m not sure.

mikap
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
check this user guide: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00688683/c00688683.pdf , on page 13 - using ORCA is mentioned you can use ORCA to setup spare disk. I do not have such raid setup so I can not check directly, try it. Otherwise - use Michal idea.

Jan
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

ORCA can assign hot spares only at array creation time.

As Michal said, you could boot the system from the SmartStart CD to access the ACU (GUI-based Array Configuration Utility).

MK
MK
mikenchi
Occasional Advisor

I hope to be able to try your suggestions tomorrow when the office is closed. thanks much for the help!