cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add memory to Proliant DL580 , winver reports wrong size

RuiVal
Occasional Contributor

Add memory to Proliant DL580 , winver reports wrong size

Hi all, i'm not sure this is the right forum to post this question.

I have hp proliant dl580 g2 running windows 2003 Enterprise (no service pack installed) with 4GB RAM.
I've added an additional "Board"/Bank (don't now the exact name of it) of memory and DIMM , increasing the physical memory from 4GB to 10GB

1)Winver Reports 3.8GB available physical ram
2)Performance Tab in TaskManager reports 3.6GB physical ram availabe
3)Msinfo32.exe reports 10GB available physical RAM
4)HP system management homepage reports 10GB available physical RAM.

My question is: shouldn't 1) ,2), 3) and 4) report the same amount of available physical ram (10GB) ?

I've added memory because of the increase of applications in this server, i think that windows is recognizing but not using all memory available...

Any Ideia ?

Best Regards

Rui Madaleno

3 REPLIES
Kase
Frequent Advisor

Re: Add memory to Proliant DL580 , winver reports wrong size

RuiVal, this is probably the wrong forum for your question. This would more properly be placed under the Windows 2003 forum. Having said that:

Do you have the PAE switch added to your boot.ini to allow Windows to see > 4 GB of RAM? Usually, this would be automatically added to your boot.ini for hot-add memory devices, but sometimes you must perform it manually. Here is the MS KB detailing the switch and how to add: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037
RuiVal
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gfreeman, thanks for you response.

I've enabled the PAE switch in boot.ini, reboot the server and now windows can "see" the right amount of physical memory available.

Best regards

Rui Madaleno
RuiVal
Occasional Contributor

Closing the thread