ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753436 Members
4696 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Added adaptec 1220SA

graham38

Added adaptec 1220SA

Recently purchsed an ML115 G5 and have installed RAID disks using the on board raid controller ports 0 and 1. Raid is dsiabled on the other ports. I need to install a quantum DLTV4 SATA tape drive but the onboard controller does not support this device and so I have tried installing an adaptec 1220SA controller but the system will not boot when this card is installed. It does not have any raid arrays configured and I have tried disabling BBS. The boot process goes through the usual steps and does detect the controller correctly but after the "boot in 10 secs..." message the screnn goes blank with a flashing cursor in the top left corner and does nothing more. It looks like it is trying to boot off the adaptec card but the bios is set to boot first from CD then from the on board Nvidia raid array. I have another ML115 G5 which does not have the on board raid configured and when the adaptec card is installed in this the OS boots OK. Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1
graham38

Re: Added adaptec 1220SA

Update: After further investigation I have discovered that the problem is not related to the adaptec card as the same symptoms occur when any SATA controller is used. It appears that when another internal card is used the system will always try to boot from this even though the boot order in bios is set to boot from the onboard device. Is this a problem with the Proliant ML115 G5? and if not how do I get around this.