1753837 Members
9457 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Added spare drive to array but OS doesn't detect

george.corder
Occasional Contributor

Added spare drive to array but OS doesn't detect

ML350 G2, Windows 2003 Std server, RAID5 641 Smart Controller, expanded array from 3 drives to 4 (completed and extended).
I go into windows explorer but still only see 69GB and should be around 100GB. What else am I supposed to do to make the OS recognize this newly added space?
4 REPLIES 4
ess
Super Advisor

hello
are you restart your server and are you complete rebuild hard drive. you can see array configuration utility and status for hard drive.you not need setting in os.
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi George!
Win can't change partition size online.
Look at disk managment and you must see one partition 69Gb, and unused space about 35Gb.
Two way - make another part. and map it as folder, or use any tools for resizing part. in Windows.
george.corder
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I have found that unallocated space in disk management. Does anyone have experience in using the DiskPart windows utility? This is supposed to be capable of expanding the C drive to unallocated space. I just would like to know if it may be just as good as a 3rd party tool like partition magic.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi George,

The C: drive can not be extended via DiskPart if it is the system or boot partition. See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

I personally have used Partition Magic and other third party utilities to extend the system partition but this can only be done while the system is off line.

Good luck!