ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748045 Members
4875 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding 2nd CPU to ML 150 G6

Claude Braxton

Adding 2nd CPU to ML 150 G6

After adding an E5504 CPU and attaching STS100C Active/Passive Heatsink. The system starts booting then I get "BMC Fan Curve updating.." and a failure message like (Error) Fan FAN_1 shutting down. The first CPU has a heat sink with no fan what is causing the 2nd CPU installation to fail due to a FAN_1. Are you suppose to use the same model Heatsink?
4 REPLIES 4
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding 2nd CPU to ML 150 G6

Claude Braxton

Mark,

The documents did not help. I have installed the E5504 CPU, STS100C Active/Passive Heatsink, and memory. When the system boots I get the following message "Sys Fan 1 detect failed. Fan or Inlet ambient sensor detect failed and prepare to shutdown", the system shutsdown.

The only thing I can think of is my heatsink is different than the one on the initial CPU. Does this matter?

Why does this message happen when the second CPU is installed?

The system is running the current firmware release.
JDesign

Same problem :(

Google didn`t help me.

I want to upgrade ml150g6 with a new cpu, but when connecting STS100A active heat-think, I get an error sysfan1 error

and server gets off. Who can help with it?

Sorin Srbu
Occasional Visitor

Same here. Tried just a few minutes ago.

Salvaged CPU, passive heatsink and RAM-stick from an identical ML150 G6, and stuck the stuff in the server I want to beef up a little.

Also updated ROMpack to the newest available.

What gives?

Edit: So I got a different error message this time, it said Fan_1 failed. So I salvaged the fan from the other G6 and plugged it in to the connector marked FAN_1 on the mobo, and lo, the server booted with no error messages.

Kinda' weird, as Google says no extra fan is required with a dual-cpu config. That should teach me to believe stuff on the 'net I guess...