ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753776 Members
7059 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding 2nd processor to a proliant ml350 G5

RodKen

Adding 2nd processor to a proliant ml350 G5

Just got the server today. Added an extra 4 Gb of ram and a second processor (and its PPM) but system will not boot up at all. This is what I have done so far.

System will boot on the single processor it came with. I replaced the original processor with the second one and the system boots up fine, so i have 2 good processors.

Put the original processor into the second processor socket along with the second ppm, system will not boot up. I downloaded the latest firmware (I think) dated 24 Jan 08 but no difference, system quickly flashes green and then dies. I have downloaded the latest firmware CD - all 500 Mb but have not tried that yet, decided that was enough for a Friday.

Does anyone know of any known issues of adding a 2nd processor to the Proliant ML350 G5 server?

Tks
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding 2nd processor to a proliant ml350 G5

Hi,

It might be the PPM since it's only needed for the CPU2 position, the CPU1 PPM is embedded in the system board. Also check that the CPU's are identical (speed and cache sizes) as it may fail due to differences.

Worst case it may be the PPM2 or CPU2 sockets on the system board so I suggest you call HP at this stage and have the system looked at under warranty unless your reseller can provide a replacement CPU/PPM combination to try.

Regards,

Brian
RodKen

I will try to the CD I downloaded on Friday on Monday morning, If still no go I will contact HP. Thanks for the quick reply.
RodKen

Ran the CPU id program and I have 2 different processors. Getting a new CPU shipped to me today, Tks all
RodKen

CPUs are not identical.