6554 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding Disk to Array on ML370

Mike Berryman
Occasional Advisor

Adding Disk to Array on ML370

Hi,

I have two ML370 servers (running Win2003), and they each have a SmartArray 6400 controller and 3-36.4GB disks running raid 5.
I would like to add 3 additional 36.4Gb disks to each array to expand storage. Can I do this and Windows automatically resize the raid, or are there steps I need to do to make this happen? I hope I don't have to rebuild the server to add disk, but I wasn't sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
6 REPLIES 6
bigb_1

You dont have to rebuild the array
You can add the new disk and then follow the procedure to expand the array
and then extend the logical drive
Check the attached PDF file for details of array expansion and drive extension
This is time consuming process depending on the usage of the server

Go to hp.com and search for the following document - 239449-005
It gives details of how drive expansion and extension works

http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&la=en&hpvc=sitewide&qs=&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&uf=1&st=1&qt=239449-005

Big B
Mike Berryman
Occasional Advisor

Big B,

Thanks for the note, I have printed it out and am reading through it. One thing I have noticed that troubles me though, is that the document says I should be able to bring up the "HP Array Configuration" program within Windows and look at the configuration, but when I click on it, all I get is an Internet Explorer window pointing to the address hpapp://ACU-XE/ACU-XE.htm and give me the "page cannot be displayed" error. Any ideas as to why this would happen, and would it prevent me from adding the disks?
Thanks,
Mike
Kevin Miller211
Occasional Contributor

Funny .. I received the same error just yesterday when I launched the Array utility. I downloaded the newest Array Utilities version, and installed ... all works fine now.
Mike Berryman
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I meant to post back. I upgraded the firmware on the array card and my problem went away as well. Thanks for the post!
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Mike,
I downloaded the whole HP SmartStart CD version 7.70 (as its a multipurpose CD)from the following link & installed the PSP (Proliant Support Pack)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26397.html
& the issue got resolved

The CD is useful as it contains latest drivers & system management softwares.

Before actually starting the rebuild, You should also think about upgrading the firmware of the HDD using the Firmware Maintenance CD.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26620.html

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Mike Berryman
Occasional Advisor

TarunJain,

Thanks so much. I will do that. I'm downloading these files now. Thanks for the advice!
Mike