4940 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding IDE controller to Proliant ML370

Michal Unzeitig
Occasional Contributor

Adding IDE controller to Proliant ML370

Hello,

I needed more IDE space so I added a new PCI IDE controller card into my Proliant ML370. I've ran SmartStart and the new card was detected ok as PCI Mass Storage Controller.

However, now the system won't boot - instead of starting to boot OS, the server gives error message - "Could't initialize memory". When taking the card away, it runs okay again.

The IDE controler was taken from IBM Netfinity 5000 where it was working without any problems.

Any help please?
3 REPLIES 3
Miika T
Valued Contributor

This most probably is not a hp supported solution...so problems may occur. Which bus did you try to install the device, and do you know if it is PCI 2.2 card or older? Try to install the ide card to "slowest/narrow" bus, if possible, or to any other available pci slot.

-Miika
Michal Unzeitig
Occasional Contributor

I've tried already all available PCI slots. The behaviour is still the same. Also I checked all IRQs and BIOS settings - all seems ok. The IDE controller is quite new (2 or 3 years old) - made by Kouwell (with SIL 680 chipset).

I'm mainly wondering why it was working ok in IBM's maschine (which is even older than the Proliant), but is not working now.
e4services
Honored Contributor

It is trying to boot the IDE bus. Typical for IDE, they alway assume the primary boot. You would need a controller that allow you to disable the boot strap so you can continue to boot your existing SCSI. You may be able to get around it in the Proliant BIOS boot order also.
Hot Swap Hard Drives