1753797 Members
8474 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding Raid 1 to Proliant 800 450Mhz PII w/Netware 5.0c

CSP
Occasional Contributor

Adding Raid 1 to Proliant 800 450Mhz PII w/Netware 5.0c

Newbie questions... I need to add a second scsi 9.1gb hard drive preferably in a raid 1 configuration to a Proliant 800 450Mhz PII Server running Netware 5.0c. The server currently has one ultra3 80-pin scsi 9.1 gb drive in it. What raid controller should I purchase? What steps are involved to install and get disk mirroring working on this server?
Thanks in advance for any help!!
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If you don├в t have Smart array controller use one of SMART 2 series: 2DH 2SL 221 or 3200 (2 generation controller has some limitation so 3200 would be more recommended
e4services
Honored Contributor

For you, having an older unit and you want a simple mirror, I would convert to an IDE RAID. You can purchase a SATA IDE RAID from Adaptec and SATA IDE hard drives for far less money
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Ameen Khan

Hi,

Its good to have raid 1 on your server. You can go for the adaptec pci Raid controller Card. Once you install the raid controller. You have to make some changes in the bios. I would recommend you to go for the adaptec raid controller.

If you have any queries pls reply me.

Thanks
CSP
Occasional Contributor

I neglected to say in my original posting that I had already purchased the second Ultra3 9.1GB SCSI drive, so I am thinking of going with a SCSI Raid controller. The server does not have a smart array controller. At this point.. would it still be cheaper to purchase the adaptec pci raid controller plus the two ata or sata drives? If I go with the conversion method, how do I mirror the data from the existing SCSI drive to the ata or sata drives? Sorry.. I have never setup raid before and I am not sure if there are any procedures to handled with Netware configurations.

Thanks for all of the replies!!

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I don├в t think you will spend much for used controller 2nd or 3rd generation; also you can├в t migrate directly from non-array controller to array controller. You have to create your array with two drives and restore data to them. Prior you make full backup driver for future controller should be installed, use any empty slot for that reason. Or install O/S from scratch and restore only
CSP
Occasional Contributor

Ameen,

I have decided to go with SCSI RAID 1.
Is the "Adaptec 3200S 2-Channel Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller Card" a good candidate for my RAID 1 needs on this server? I found one at SCSI4ME for around $230.00. It is a machine pull. Will this card work with the SCSI drives that I have? I think the current drive in the server is a SCSI Ultra2 9.1GB and the drive I am adding is a Ultra3 9.1GB, hopefully these drives will work together for RAID1. What configurations will need to be done in the system BIOS?

Thanks for your help!!