108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding SAS Disks to ML370

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ecosse

Adding SAS Disks to ML370

Sorry this is basic!
ML370G5 with SAS controller (512mb) currently config with 4 x 15k SFF discs on Raid 6 (partitioned as Drives c+e)+ a separate 10k disc for MS WSUS downloads and automated temporary back ups (drive f).
The 10k disk is too small for drive f now - I have ordered a new larger 10k disk, but need help on 2 points.
1. How do I switch the existing 10k disk for the new one? - I need to move the data to it from the existing one (could copy to another partition as a temp measure) & would like to retain its drive letter.
2. With the then surplus old 10k drive, can I use it as a hot spare for the Raid 6 array (it is only 10k speed rather than 15k) but it would give us extra comfort having recently had 1 disk failure but no notification for several weeks! - and how do I implement that? (the current raid array was all factory set by HP when purchased)
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding SAS Disks to ML370

You can insert the new larger 10k drive and create a new raid0 LUN and a new partition with a new drive letter (let's say drive g). Then copy the data from drive f to drive g. Then you can delete drive f (the old 10k disk) and rename the new larger disk on drive g to become drive f as you want. Now you can set up the old 10k drive as hot spare. I do not remember if the hot spare is set up for a specific raid group or for the whole controller. If it is set up for the whole controller acu might not allow you to set it up since you have a new larger disk in it (eventhough it is setup as raid0 and hot sparing does not apply). You can try it anyway.
Ecosse

Thanks - disc should arrive tomorrow so will try then. I am not IT trained (small business!), so please bear with me!
Am I correct in thinking that I simply choose one (any?) of the spare spaces in the disk holder (I thihnk there are 4 spare) and put the new disk in there in the same way as when replacing a failed disk?
But how do I then create a partition on that new disk? - I know how to do that on a non-raid array system, but I assume it has to be added in some way via the 400's screen which is a mystery to me (but I'll learn) - I think I'll need some tips to avoid the risk of disaster!
Thanks again.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> I simply choose one (any?) of the spare spaces...
Yes any of the available slots in the first 8 disk cage. All 8 slots are connected to the P400.
> how do I then create a partition on that new disk?
When you plug in the new disk it will not be visible in windows. Note that the disk plugs in the P400 which is a "subsystem", a separate environment. You must use the ACU -Array Configuration Utility (400's sceen as you call it) to create a raid0 LUN out of the new disk. Then it would show up in windows as a normal disk so you partition it and format it as with a non-raid system.
Ecosse

Thanks - yes found that and I can see how it works based on the existing logical drives it shows. I'll post back & close thread once the disk arrives & I succeed! Thanks for the help.
Ecosse

Just to conform - and thanks for the replies - that this worked as per instructions. Very easy to instal in the raid cage, used the raid controller screen as instructed, then windows disk management (that was the only slight issue as there was an option to create the partition as a primary or extended partition) - chose an extended partition and then created a logical drive within that & all seems fine.

Have yet to work out how to (a) move the WSUS folder to the new drive (seems to be morethan just a copy issue as it has a database in it) and then (b) how to reconfig the "old" 10k disk to be a hot spare to the main RAID6 array! If this should be a new thread in the forum no doubt experienced posters will let me know.